It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
(female)

nicole1988 HB User
How is it that hes just a carrier?

My 4 year old son just had some blood work recently that indicated he is a carrier of fragile x. The doctor informed me that only being a carrier he wouldnt be affected by it but that his offspring could be. Well I find it really hard to believe that hes only a carrier or that a carrier cant be affected by carring it. Hes autistic! I had never heard of Fragile x until that day. So as a concerned mother I did a little research. I was only able to learn a little about it. I was able to find a few physical char. of Fragile x. Like flat feet, large head, and flexible fingers. Well he has a large head and flat feet as for the flexible fingers Im not sure. So my question is with autism, flat feet, and a large head how is it that hes just a carrier?

Old 12-05-2010, 05:01 AM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: How is it that hes just a carrier?

I think that fragile x has a lot of behavioral symptoms - did the dr. ask you questions about behavior? Perhaps the dr. felt that your son did not fit the behavioral definition of fragile x. I don't know details but if you feel uneasy, call the dr. back for more details or even get a second opinion. Good luck.

The important thing is getting the services that your son needs ie speech therapy, occupational therapy, a good suitable school program if he needs a self contained classroom, or understanding trained in autism teachers if he is in an inclusion pre-school. The school district has a responsibility to provide this for your son and the director of special ed can give you the information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread