It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
(female)

murphy1234 HB User
Should I be concerned, 18 month daughter and autism

Hi,

I have a 18 month old daughter. She is a very happy baby, but a few things she does concerns me. According to her peditrician, she is meeting her milestones. She is talking, but is definitely on the lower end of the norm. I would guess she can say about 12-13 words right now.

The things that concern me are:

1) when her favorite tv show comes on, she will flap her hands, not for long, i would say 10 seconds, definitely not excessive. she will sometimes do this when she is really excited.

2) when watching tv, i will say her name and sometimes it will take 3-4 times saying it for her to look at me.

3) sometimes she looks like she is staring into space

4) this theory is new to me, but she was born with a smaller head, 30% and at her last appointment her head is now 75%.

5) she knows hi/bye bye and waving, but only does it on her terms. if i ask her to wave, she won't.

She is very smiley and loves to cuddle, i would assume like any toddler, she has her moments where she doesn't like to sit still.

thanks in advance for your response. i don't know how much of this is normal toddler behavior or something that i should be concerned about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Should I be concerned, 18 month daughter and autism

She sounds pretty normal to me. Children do flap their hands when excited and she's only 18 months. She's talking and developing normally. Every child meets milestones at different times. I would caution you about letting her watch TV. Some studies have shown that TV is overstimulating for little ones' brains and it can cause them to develop hyperactivity and other attention problems. Give her age appropriate activity toys and most importantly...give her your time and attention. Talk to her, teach her the names and colors of things, play Peek-A-Boo, things like that. Children learn by repitition and attention. I wish you both well

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
(female)

kalyspice HB User

Flapping is sometimes self stimulation. A lot of children do it. Adults stem too though, when we shake our legs when sitting in chairs, or click pens or rotate your foot. I know I shake my leg alot when sitting.

Im a preschool teacher of children her age, and she would fit right in with my children

Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
(female)

jmurphy HB User

Hello-
I would have her evaluated. Its probably nothing......but if it is a type of AS disorder, you will be happy you found out sooner than later.
My son flapped his hands ( and jumped) when he was around 2--2 1/2 years (thomas the tank engine), was 'deaf'-like, and had a slow language development. He was diagnosed with PDD-NOS at 3.
Good luck to you!
Jenny

Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

At 18 months old , many professionals will not diagnose at such a young age. At the most that could happen is a early intervention program for babies and toddlers that are deemed at risk for developmental delays. The earliest I have ever heard a child being diagnosed as having autism was age 2. That is called early infantile autism.
Their would be even more signs of autism to warrent a diagnoses at such a early age. It will not hurt to have her evaluated , due to her medical history. She may indeed need support , if she is diagnosed as developmentally delayed.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
(female)

jmurphy HB User

Again, let me say its probably nothing as you have listed only 2 possible symptoms but it is always good to get as much info as possible.

We had ABA therapy for my son (nearly 3 years) and had remarkable improvements.

Peace-
Jenny

Last edited by moderator2; 02-11-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
(female)

murphy1234 HB User

Hi, Thank you all for responding. I wanted to follow up. My daughter is now a little over 19 months. She no longer hand flaps (that lasted about a week or two). She can say about 30 words. The only thing I am still concerned about is responding to her name. I would say that most of the time she does, but there are still times when i need to say it 3-4 times before she will look at me. But, it most situations, she will look at me when i say her name. She is good with other kids, but in big groups it takes her a little time to get settled. At this age, she is much better with one on one with other kids.

Thanks again for everybodies response!

Old 02-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Most toddlers do prefer smaller groups of children . One child her age is a lot easier to tolerate then large groups.
I'd like to suggest have her hearing tested . just for peace of mind. Hand flapping already gone... Just watch to see if anther stemming behavior takes it's place.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
(female)

murphy1234 HB User

Thanks again! What would be considered stemming behavior? Want to know what I need to watch for. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
(female)

stemming behavior at her age could be rocking, staring at her fimgers or hands, being attracted to ceiling fans or certain lights. Possibly having very sensitive hearing , having major temper tantrums, hand leading, poor eye contact, toe walking, or if she stops talking. Previous words are gone.
Some of these things are behavioral concerns , some are stemming behaviors. These are just some of the things to watch out for.

Closed Thread