HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Autism Spectrum (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/autism-spectrum/)
-   -   help is this a sign of autism???? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/autism-spectrum/841638-help-sign-autism.html)

ane8188 03-24-2011 07:52 PM

help is this a sign of autism????

my son just turned two in february,hes a very happy and loving baby but hes dosnt talk at all the only thing he says are a few words that he will repeat when he heres us say them like hot or yes,but thats all he ever does is mock us never trys to speak on his own dosnt even say mama or dada!!! and ive seen babys saying that before they were one.is this just him not ready to talk yet or could it be more than that????im worried please help???

mscat40 03-24-2011 08:24 PM

Re: help is this a sign of autism????

He has a speech delay.. This does not always mean autism. If your ywo year old was using more words , and then had lost words then it would be a sign of autism. Other things to look out for. Eye contact, hand flapping, and major temper tantrums when something is different on his schedule. What he is doing is called echolia , sometimes this happens when a child is first learning how to talk. It is more of a comcern of the child is older , and still is only repeating what he hears. Also, the child would not "hear" when spoken to, many aprents of autistic toddlers may think the child had a hearing problem. Anther sign would be lining up his toys, such as toy cars in a row, then getting highly agitated if you take a car away . Head banging, and rocking are other signs in a young child. Toe walking is anther indicater . If he rather be alone , and not interact with the world, or others are more indicaters. Loss os speech , is a big one though . But if he is only just repeating words, and does not have any other behavioral signs then most likely it is a speech delay, which a speech therapist can help him.
If he is meeting all of his developmental milestones other then the speech delay, he does not have autism.
Talk to your Ped. about his speech, and get a referral for him to see a speech therapist.

ane8188 03-24-2011 08:34 PM

yes i have a lady who is going to come and do an evaluation on him sometime next week ,but sometimes he does throw tantrums when you take things away and he gets really frustrated when you try to show him how to do something and he cant do it,he dosnt listen very well but i know he hears just fine cause as soon as he hears his favorite movie come on he comes running in the living room.but i am/was assuming that was all normal toddler behavior.and he also used to hold his hands over his ears and hum at the same time but he hesnt done that in a while..is that normal??

mscat40 03-24-2011 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=ane8188;4714861]yes i have a lady who is going to come and do an evaluation on him sometime next week ,but sometimes he does throw tantrums when you take things away and he gets really frustrated when you try to show him how to do something and he cant do it,he dosnt listen very well but i know he hears just fine cause as soon as he hears his favorite movie come on he comes running in the living room.but i am/was assuming that was all normal toddler behavior.and he also used to hold his hands over his ears and hum at the same time but he hesnt done that in a while..is that normal??[/QUOTE]

hands over the ears is usually to block out loud noises , my son is extremely sensitive to noises. Vacume, fire alarms , any loud sounds he does not handle well. Humming , a way to self soothe, or avoid a sound that is intolerable. Since your child has not done that in a while and has not picked up on any other "stemming" behaviors which often happens, then that is a good sign he is ok. temper tantrums are typical in 2 yr olds. What I am trying to say is that their would be a lot of behavioral signs , in autism. Not just one thing, but a whole list of behaviors that are common for young autistic children. Your child had no loss of language , which is good, even though now he repeats what he hears , it is the beggning of language.

ane8188 03-25-2011 06:22 AM

ok thats good to here i just know ive been talking to to peopleabout him not talking and everyone throws up "oh he could be autistic" so i got a little worried but my doctor set me up with a speech therapist and we will start working with her shortly and we are going to put him in daycare atleast one day a week so he can inteact with kidds and maybe pick up a few things and hopefully this all will work....thanks for all yuor help!!!

mscat40 03-26-2011 03:27 PM

Yeah, the word autism really has increased in the last few years. So people are quick to think that is whats going on. Since autism is based on behaviors and testing by a qualified professional , more and more parents are thinking about this disability when their child is only months old. Typically, a parent may realise something is not quite right when the child is around 3. A lot of professionals do not even like giving a diagnoses before then either.
Now, looking back when my son was a toddler their were signs . As a infant he would arch his back and go stiff when being held. He was a easy going baby too. He never said a word> age 22 months, he suddenly said a full sentence out of the blue. He did it twice> then never said any words at all. He learned to walk on his toes, that is how he walked all the time, he had his tonsils and adnoides out , and tubes in his ears at around 3. I was thinking that this was going to help him talk. Well his behavior after that only became worse. Very hyperactive, and aggressive. He begun to imatate words. Words people said to him . Not functional speech. He did that up until age 5. He was placed in a special preschool at 4. Had a diagnoses of possible autism for a very long time, depended on the professional. Some siad yes, Some said no.
Well , he is now going on 18, and does have a official diagnoses. He always was in special day classess . His IQ is low . As well. But, he is verbal. And I think high functioning despite the low IQ , and autism.

ninamarc 04-01-2011 10:04 AM

I am sorry your son has a speech delay. Have they checked his hearing or speech problems? Is there anything wrong with his hearing and etc. Hearing/Speech problems are not the same.

Take care,
Nina

Suzanne44 04-02-2011 11:50 PM

it is good that you are having a speech evaluation; that will be very helpful in beginning to figure out what was going on and most of all to get started with whatever kind of speech therapy is needed. your son is very young and so much progress can take place so it is great that you are getting started with evaluations and therapy if reccommended when you are.

i think the daycare idea one day is also a good idea. just make sure that the teachers are kind and patient and caring with him and i hope that they will also be willing to take suggestions from the speech therapist in ways to bring in more and more language.

is the therapist coming from early intervention services? if so, and if needed, they will set up the therapies that your son will need. good luck to you.

mscat40 04-03-2011 02:08 PM

When looking for a preschool program , I strongly encourage you to talk to the Preschool director first. Let her know what is going on with your child . The majority of preschool teachers do not have any training in regards to developmental delays. Unless they have experiemced it themselves.
Since he is a toddler, what could happen if it is autism or on the spectrum , more new behaviors could emerge around this time.
My son actually learned to walk on his toes... Never knew that this was a sign of a neurolgical disorder.or austism. If he begans to look at his hand close to his eyes, or starts hand flapping, of fingers flipping accross his eyes. My son also woulld jump and down all the time to, or spin in circles without ever becomming dizzy.
Speech therapy services could be offered through early interventiuon services , that could be part of a program for young children 0-3 years old. They have programs like that , and then he would not be going to a regular preschool. I might be wrong though, they have programs for 0-24 months, then 3-5 years old. Depends on your area.
Anther great resource is your local regional Center. The regional center can diagnoses developmental delays, including autism . They have very qualified professionals that can help your child, and make suggestions that best suits your child's needs.

adnanmahwish 04-13-2011 11:37 AM

my 2 year son also have same thing he dont say any meaning full words but he repeat some words said by others. but some time he did hand flapping , head bangging , and toe walking but as he grown up these bahviour became less and less . and if ur son follow sample commands he keep show improvemants with time like his understanding of language and puzzzle solving skills , he play with u , point differnet objects , recognize various pictures and show love for u . and using gestures. and maintain eye contect he is ok , even for my son i am still conern about his bahaviour although he had all impovements but i talk to my dr he said these bahaviour r part of child development ( there brain is keep growing) if they r for couple of seconds but if child keep doing it for long then u have to worry about them ,buti already took appoinmnet for speeh thearpy