It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
(male)

doubtsabout HB User
Autism as a means for school support

My son 10yrs old. When he was in early primary he had a difficult time. He has some hand flapping behaviour but otherwise in class he can make friendship linkages, does averagely well in class and does not need special assistance in class. He IS a bit "vague" and disordered in most things. He is being labelled as "high functioning ASD" - a label with could be taken to cover a very broad swathe of the population.

My concerns are:
* I don't trust the criteria for Autistic Spectrum identification. They are as wooly as reading star signs when a child is "on the margins"
* I am very concerned that help for someone how struggles a bit has to entail a diagnostic label - we were told quite clearly not to expect any assistance otherwise

My wife is keen on furthering a diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum because it opens up funding in the school and because it gives a framework for thinking about our child because he behaves a bit differently. In particular he is coming up to high school and the school is saying that the only way to obtain some "transition support" for our son is to go for a diagnosis as this assures funding, even though they acknowledge that he needs no in-classroom support.

I feel the schools are compromised in this as they are keen for the extra funding they get as part of this process. I am concernedl this situation verges on blackmail - to get the support you have to go with the diagnosis.

I am troubled about what to do in this situation. I feel that this is not actually a process of helping but a process of shoe-horning as a process of getting funds for the school for helping a young child who otherwise just needs a few nudges along.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Autism as a means for school support

You can always have your child seen by a child Neuro, a child Psycholigist, Or any other professional that can make diagnoses, and do the right testing. The school district has it's own testing, however, going to a outside source would benefit your child moreso then a school psycholigist.
Reason for a accurate diagnoses is to get your child into the right program, not nessessairly to benifit the school. Special needs children require trained teachers , OT, Speech therapy , and any other services that will be available for him.
If he is diagnosed as having Asperger's then he still will need support for social skills training. High Functioning autism is not Aspergers. Sometimes can be confused with it though.
my son is considered High Functioning, even though he has low IQ scores > That is the main difference in Aspergers they are usually average intelligence to very highly intelligent. And do not have any language delays when learning to talk.
HFA children have the language delays, are verbal, but they tend to hperfocus on their own interests , in usually engage in one way conversation.
Schools do not get any kickbacks , or more funding , in fact the money to teach special needs kids is greater , because the teachers have specialized training.
As far as not trusting the way ASD is diagnosed because it is mainly behavior idicaters , that is why you ought to seek out a trained professional in ASD's. Their are tests that are performed that can point to autism, only a skilled , trained professional knows how to perform those tests.
My son was first diagnosed at age 4, two years ago he went to a neuropsycholgist and the diagnoses was confirmed at the age of 15.

Closed Thread