It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
(female)

PrincessPotato HB User
Help or advice. Thanks

Hi,

I have recently been told that my daughter likely has a ASD. My husband and I think that it certainly is a possibility. It would answer a lot of questions. However when we brought it up with her school they said they didn't see any tell tale signs of any ASD. The doctor said it seemed mild. My question is can a ASD be more hidden from people if it is in a mild form. Would it be unusual for someone with a ASD to have very different behaviour at school then at home? Sorry I don't know much about Autism. I am rather new at this so I don't mean to come off as ignorant if I do.

Thank you very much.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Help or advice. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessPotato View Post
Hi,

I have recently been told that my daughter likely has a ASD. My husband and I think that it certainly is a possibility. It would answer a lot of questions. However when we brought it up with her school they said they didn't see any tell tale signs of any ASD. The doctor said it seemed mild. My question is can a ASD be more hidden from people if it is in a mild form. Would it be unusual for someone with a ASD to have very different behaviour at school then at home? Sorry I don't know much about Autism. I am rather new at this so I don't mean to come off as ignorant if I do.

Thank you very much.
Who told you that your daughter may be on the ASD level? How old is she? The school district are not professional in developmental's delays and a lot of times they have no idea what to look for , especially if the behaviors are mild. The school is not looking for any slight change in behavior that your daughter may show at home vrs school. If she is high functioning more towards a Asperger's diagnoses then YES, it can be easily missed. At school , the children are always in a routine, their is always that sameness. Children and addults with ASD perform better with routine and sameness. This could be one big reason why your child could behave slightly different from school to home.
With that said, their are certain behavioral chacteriestics that go along ADS's.
A big one is they have a difficult time with social skills , rather be alone, they have a hard time interacting with kids their own age, they apreciate sameness in routine, And especially when they are more high functioning, they will have narrow interests, what I mean they will focus on a certain topic that only she likes to discuss. It will be very hard to change the topic of conversation or interest when communicating with her. It will seem like their is a obsessive quality about what she is interested in. They do not care much about what others want to talk about , and may struggle with interruping . The child may be sensitive to sound, or texture. Such is bothered by the tag on the back of her shirt.
A mild form of autism , they still may struggle with eye contact, be obsessive, and it is hard for them to make friends because she wants to just talk about what interests her. She could or would have a very hard time in group activites.
WHen younger then 5 she may have talked early , walked on time, and their could be no delays in development.
She still may have had trouble in speech though. But, if this could be Asperger's she would have above intelligence to average intelligece.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread