It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #1
(female)

Raggidog HB User
Help! first time user of chat rooms;

I am a middle aged mum with a young adult son who has autism, intellectual delay, is non verbal, has petite mal epilepsy and now, most recently, mental illness, having experienced a pyschotic attack. I am hoping to link to others who have experienced this - especially those who have come out the other side! My most urgent issue is that my son, who is very tall and strong, has become a 'runner' so is no longer safe to take out into the community as he runs off, most often heading for busy roads. Help!

The following user gives a hug of support to Raggidog:
setubal (05-18-2011)
Old 04-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
(female)

Suzanne44 HB UserSuzanne44 HB User
Re: Help! first time user of chat rooms;

My son is 22 and has autism and many of the sensory issues related to autism. He also used to be a runner when he was younger but that seems to be under control. My son had behavior issues, many stemming from all of his fears. I can tell you that in his case, medications were very very helpful for him in being able to feel calmer, talk about what was fearful to him and also focus enough to understand dangers, little by little.

Is your son under the care of a neurologist or psych? If so, you should schedule an appointment to discuss these serious issues. Also does your community have a local office of developmental disabilities? Here in the U.S. many families qualify for respite care and I think that would be very helpful for you. Having a caseworker to call for assistance has meant a lot. I would be glad to answer any other questions, and good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Suzanne44 For This Useful Post:
Raggidog (04-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
(female)

Raggidog HB User

Sorry did not mean to press send. As I just said, still learning how to use the chat room! did not mean to send you a wink. Thanks for responding. My son Edward is non verbal and has not had a specific diagnosis until now, but recently suffered his first ever pyschotic episode which has totally changed things. I have just managed to get a neuro pyschiatrist, and he has prescribed anti-pyschotics, anti-depressants and ant-anxiety medication along with Edward's usual epilsepsy meds, and it does seem to be settling him down a bit. The last time we took him out he did a runner after his outing and it took six of us holding him down to stop him running in the road, and over an hour to calm him sufficiently to get him into a vehicle and to safety. He has been trapped in our home for three weeks since then, and I am steeling myself to try taking him out - with four friends and carers - tomorrow. Hopefully the meds will have kicked in enough for him to understand we are only trying to keep him safe when we stop him from running off. I've always been very accepting of Ed's disability but the last three months have been absolute hell, for him and for us. I have to believe that things will settle down and get back to some normality. We do receive some services but I don't think our disability supports in Australia as terribly advanced. We don't access respite but will have to start getting Edward used ot sleeping out - he has never had a night away from home yet - doesn't like change. Anyway, good luck with your child and please keep in touch.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
(female)

Suzanne44 HB UserSuzanne44 HB User

Yes it is hard for individuals with autism to accept change. The meds should help - I know they have helped my son open up and become more accepting and adapting to change. I would imagine that the anti anxiety med should help your son adapt to a night away from home. Were you referring to him going to a respite center or your taking him out overnight? Keep posted as to how the meds are helping and I hope they do help!

Closed Thread