It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
(female)

NM mom HB User
non verbal at age 9

Any suggestions? we are meeting with my sons IEP team at school (again) to discuss more intense speech therapy...I am running out of patience and hope that he will ever talk. The older he gets the harder it gets. I spent the last 6 months just trying to teach my son (adopted) to eat without scraping his teeth on the fork, so that is an indicator of how much time it takes to teach something so simple. Help?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
(female)

Suzanne44 HB UserSuzanne44 HB User
Re: non verbal at age 9

See if he can get ABA (applied behavioral analysis) therapy for language development through your school system. I have heard it can be helpful in bringing in language. Check it out on the internet. Also, your local board or office of developmental disabilities may be a resource to ABA therapy, once your son is assigned a case manager.

Last edited by Suzanne44; 04-23-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
(female)

NM mom HB User

Thanks, I will research that online.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
(female)

ABA therapy can also help with the task you describe of not scraping his teeth on the fork when he eats. It might be a good method for your son in different areas.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
(female)

NM mom HB User

He's ok with the scraping of his teeth after 6 months..i have to remind him occasionally...He does, however, have to "slap" everything he picks up or holds or he has to slide his finger under everything repeatedly/constantly...oh lets see, a gazillion times a day??? it's enough to drive one crazy.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

The school distrct should be teaching him other forms of communication by now. Such as sign language. Or he ought to have what's called a speech communicater. I am surprosed that the school has not started to teach him other ways in communication.
I know a little about ABA, but that was only when my son was very young, and it was not paid by the school district, in fact that family pulled their son out , and had to do it in their home , and pay for it. unless things have changed , it might not be used for school.
BUt the TEACH program is and the PECS system is. Where the child has pictures to use to communicate, he shows the picture, and gets a response to what he needs. That is basically how it works. By nine years old they should be already starting to teach him different ways to comunicate.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
(female)

NM mom HB User

They (the school) has been using PECS but my son is just not that interested. He also knows a couple of "signs" but they don't go all out with that. He was in a very good program in the city of Albuquerque when he was younger, then we moved to Rio Rancho, and we find that the schools are by far inferior in their knowledge of Autism...we are thinking about sending him back to Alb. schools...and it would be our right to have our current school system "bus" him there...since we do not believe they are meeting his needs. The team meeting is on May 2, so we'll see how it goes...for now we are taking him to his Dr and a newly assigned child psychologist on Fri..he has begun to pee on the carpet. It is never ending. Thanks for the response

Old 04-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM mom View Post
They (the school) has been using PECS but my son is just not that interested. He also knows a couple of "signs" but they don't go all out with that. He was in a very good program in the city of Albuquerque when he was younger, then we moved to Rio Rancho, and we find that the schools are by far inferior in their knowledge of Autism...we are thinking about sending him back to Alb. schools...and it would be our right to have our current school system "bus" him there...since we do not believe they are meeting his needs. The team meeting is on May 2, so we'll see how it goes...for now we are taking him to his Dr and a newly assigned child psychologist on Fri..he has begun to pee on the carpet. It is never ending. Thanks for the response
I had to pull out my son from the school he was in . Their was no support or training for my son, who is autistic, but high functioing, meaning he is verbal. He is now bussed out of the city too. But ever since getting him out of the city we live in he has been doing so much better. your family does have the right to have your child bussed to a better school that meets his needs. best wishes to you and your son.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
(female)

NM mom HB User
Wink Re: non verbal at age 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
I had to pull out my son from the school he was in . Their was no support or training for my son, who is autistic, but high functioing, meaning he is verbal. He is now bussed out of the city too. But ever since getting him out of the city we live in he has been doing so much better. your family does have the right to have your child bussed to a better school that meets his needs. best wishes to you and your son.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
(female)

NM mom HB User

Thanks for the well wishes! I sure hope something turns around soon. The thought of my son never speaking is unthinkable to me. He has a voice!! He is one of four adopted siblings...his brother is medically fragile (now 6) and his other brother (now 8) was thought to have lots of bonding issues, but is doing very well right now. Along with their 5 yr old sister...all were affected by crack at birth. I am 55....and I'm not getting any younger...will let you all know how it goes next week. Thanks again.

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-29-2011 at 05:38 AM.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:33 AM   #11
(female)

I wish you well. ABA may be a road you would want to try to take, as I have said, in an assertive effort to bring in language verbally. At age 9 it may be the best choice, on the other hand, at age 9 there can be no promise that verbal language will come in but I think it's worth the effort.

My son who is now 22 went for traditional speech therapy for years and eventually became verbal. It started at about age 2. Years ago I read an article and viewed a video about ABA having some success with verbal language development with adults who have never been verbal.

Let us know how things go.

Closed Thread