It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

yourflyisopen HB User
Talking Anybody here who has an autism spectrum disorder?

I'd like to talk to somebody who personally has an ASD, because I have a son with autism and I'd like to be able to understand him better, from his point of view, thanks x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Anybody here who has an autism spectrum disorder?

I have a son that has a diagnoses of autism with cognitive delays. He started the evaluations on him at 3 1/5 and at four years old he had the diagnoses. He was not talking functional speech until age 5. So he is verbal. We went to a lot of professionals , Neuro dr'sw, child psycholigists, child psychatrsts, the school district did their own evaluation. he was also extrmemly hyperactive and aggressive. The school distrcit did not even know if their was a propper placement for him. He ran away from the profeesionals, and they had to chase him down in the parking lot. He also ran away fron the neurolgist. He had not fear either, soi was very scary when he was little.
He wa splaced in a special prechool program for young children with disabillites, We had a wonderful, understand teacher. Thr Psychatrist placed him on medication at only 4 yrs old, it was that severe , he was a danger to himself as well as others because of the running away.
before speech develped he only repeated the last few words he heard someone say. He sounded like a parrrot. He also had a lot of stemming behaviors. Hand flappin a lot , and flipping his fingers close to his eyes, he liked to jump up and down, and spin in circles .
The school kept in him special day classrooms, and at one time suggested it was the low IQ that was nore of a problem then the autism. I did not believe that. Fortuntately we moved to a very tiny town, He was in fourth grade . But, they did not have a lot os special needs programs in town, was bullied a lot there.
I got him into anther program , but then he had to ride the bus each morning 16;15 AM. He started that program when he entered middle school.
Thankfully it was the right sdc program and now was in a great program to meet his needs.
He his now 17years old and getting ready to graduate from high school! He will recieve a certifficate of completion, not a regular diploma. After that he is going into anther program for young adults who are 18-22 yrs old.
In 09 he was re evaluated by a neuropchycholgist through the regional center, and still recieved the diagnoses as autism , and his IQ testing fell between extremely low range .
I have raise my son as a single mother all his life. Time flies , I can't beleive my son is ready to graduate, even if it is just a H>S completion. it is still a big deal. I have been through so much with my son,and we have managed to stay on our feet. Some autistic children fair out better then others, time will tell. I have seen many autistic children and young adults. Some verbal some not.
My son is my life and I love him very very much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

yourflyisopen HB User

Thanks for your reply my boy doesn't talk yet, he's 3 and a half. I won't put him on medication, as I don't think of autism as an illness so I see no need for medication. I've made dietary changes though, he is gluten and lactose free, as he gets his carbs, calcium etc elsewhere in his diet, so it can't do any harm. Have you heard about the trials they did with non-verbals and dietary changes? I only ask cos I'm UK and I know you guys often have different treatments etc xxx

Old 05-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

No I have not heard of those trials , it might be because were in the united states. But, they are always doing trials that have the whole family involved to see if thir is a genetic connection. I had to place my child on medications because he was so out of control , and aggressive, plus extremely hyperactive that he was a danger to himself. But, what happened at the age of 12-13 he calmed down so much we were abe to take him off all the medications.
They had special olympics today at the high school. my son really likes to participate . He is pretty high functioning now. Which is so good. But he will constantly talk about his own narrow interests even though others are not interested, so it is hard to get him off these interests that only he wants to discuss.
In the U.S. kids, and young adults are able to stay in school through age 22Then they have the opportunity to go into whats called REhab. The higher functioning adults are able to get into job training skills and learn how to work. Their is always a job coach and they are not left alone. The people who are not as high functioning have other workability training, that is not so hard for them to participate , and they can learn other skills that they don't have yet.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

yourflyisopen HB User

That sounds really positive. Autism is still really misunderstood here in the uk. A lot of people I speak to think they know what it is, when in reality they don't have a very good idea. Many people don't seem to realise how much it can vary, and they tend to make assumptions which are very limiting x

Old 05-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
(female)

I think that the best thing a parentcan do is have their child evalusted by a speiclist. I am hope they have speicalists in england. After a dianoses is confimed, here in the states they have early intervention, which a lot of behavior can be turned around and disappear, but, sometimes the child just picks up on anther behavior. Ao it is hard . I understand. Rasied myson almost 18 years with it. But, he did get the early intervention suport and was aleays in spcial day claasess . Not regular classroom, but classroom that met his needs, and always had small classroom sizes, with a teacher who knew how to help and teach these child plus their were always 3-4 classroom assitance. They provided peech thearpy too , and if the child could intragate into a reular classroom , the child had the oportunity to, with a clasroom assistant. i have seen kids able to participate in drama class, and many more participte in PE, which my son got to do. He actually really like the PE teacher, and she took a special interest in him.
What I learned is that the child has to be around adults who have experience with autism and can undertand their needs and still be able to treat them as a normal human being.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
(female)

gatoradelol HB User

i am a 16 yr old with asd

Closed Thread