It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

HJBevan HB User
Stepping on Toes

I consider myself lucky to live in California; there are so many ASD programs available for autistic children and there families. However, I just can't help but wonder if other parents of Autistic children feel as I am feeling right now... I had a meeting today with my 4 year old autistic son's referral coordinator and his two in home tutors. The meeting started well, as they discussed my sons progresses and set new goals for him for the coming year. I was pleased, until his tutors parenting suggestions turned from helpful to insulting. Sometimes I feel that the teachers and tutors that work with my son forget that I as the parent have ideas of how my son should be raised. I think they see him as there "student" or "case" and forget that they are in his life only because I have allowed them to be. One of the hardest things for me right now is not only the fear I feel for my sons future but also the sadness I have over the constant interruptions that occur in our home. I think that one of the joys of parenting is problem solving; the problem solving process, I believe, allows us as parents to now our children better. I think that, although well meaning, the suggestions of my sons tutors interrupts this very important aspect of parenting. Is there anyone else that can relate to what I'm thinking and feeling. If so I would love to hear your thoughts!

Old 06-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
(female)

Suzanne44 HB UserSuzanne44 HB User
Re: Stepping on Toes

Hi - I have always felt that suggestions are just that: suggestions. And sometimes the suggestions are great and should be acted on and sometimes the suggestions miss the boat so to speak. They are seeing a lot of children and sometimes the suggestions they make become generic in that they think they should apply to all kids, but that's where we as parents can decide which would apply to our child and which would be helpful to our child. I understand what you are saying, but focus more on the progress that you are seeing in your son. Also, you truly are fortunate to have all the services that you have so try to cut through this issue and realize that when push comes to shove, everyone's goal is progress and it seems as though that is being accomplished.

Also if your state has such good services for children, that is a good sign that these services will continue as he gets older. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
(female)

HJBevan HB User
Re: Stepping on Toes

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and encouraging words; you've helped put things back to a positive perspective! Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne44 View Post
Hi - I have always felt that suggestions are just that: suggestions. And sometimes the suggestions are great and should be acted on and sometimes the suggestions miss the boat so to speak. They are seeing a lot of children and sometimes the suggestions they make become generic in that they think they should apply to all kids, but that's where we as parents can decide which would apply to our child and which would be helpful to our child. I understand what you are saying, but focus more on the progress that you are seeing in your son. Also, you truly are fortunate to have all the services that you have so try to cut through this issue and realize that when push comes to shove, everyone's goal is progress and it seems as though that is being accomplished.

Also if your state has such good services for children, that is a good sign that these services will continue as he gets older. Good luck.

Closed Thread