It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

Ratties HB User
Need help with little brother

Ok, my 14 year old little brother is mildly autistic..he displays some symptoms but his school insists that he isn't fully autistic because he can make eye contact...anyways we are having three main problems with him

1. he eats constantly...if he doesn't have something in his mouth at all times of the day, he is screaming that he is VERY hungry. We have tried to tell him that he doesn't need to eat all day long but he won't listen to us. He is very overweight now.

2. throws huge fits...if we tell him no he screams and throws a fit...like if we're watching tv and he doesn't want to watch a show he cries and says something like "I NEVER get to watch tv", it doesn't matter if he has been watching tv all day or not...or if we tell him to go take a bath, he throws a fit...everything we ask him to do he acts like we just asked him to donate a vital organ or something

3. pooping pants...here is a big one...he will stop whatever he is doing to do and pee in the toilet but when it comes to pooping, he messes in his pants...he won't tell us and won't change his pants unless screamed at to...and even then, he will just take the dirty ones off and put new ones on without wiping...the feel of the poop and the smell doesn't seem to bother him...we have sat him down and asked him why he poops himself and we have gotten four answers from him....most of the time he says "I don't know"...then he will say "I didn't feel it"....then he will say "I can't stop pooping". and last he says "I like to smell"...We have tried taking things away from him like the computer and tv and his wii...but it doesn't seem to help at all...he will sit there doing nothing and still poop himself...he isn't embarrassed but it, as he will do this in public and doesn't care if stranger smell it...When we ask him where he is suppose to go poop, he answers "in the toilet" so he knows where he is suppose to go but getting him to actually do it is the problem...What else can we try? I would suggest to my mom taking him to a counselor but we know that he won't talk to a counselor because it's a struggle getting him to talk to us as he says "I don't know" and "will you just leave me alone" a lot to us so I can just imagine how he would response to the questions a counselor will ask him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
(female)

Suzanne44 HB UserSuzanne44 HB User
Re: Need help with little brother

For the toileting problems, I would suggest taking him to an occupational therapist who works with kids with autism. His Dr. would probably have referral suggestions or possibly contact the president of your local autism support group for some names.

It also sounds like a behavioral therapist would be beneficial to meet with for an initial consultation and then come to your home to meet your son and offer suggestions for redirecting his behaviors and setting up a behavioral plan.

Lastly, the occupational therapist and/or the behavioral therapist could advise you if medications for impulse control might be something to consider. Another idea is to start off by meeting with a child psych to discuss the above issues and get their reccommendations which could include medications and occupational and behavior therapy.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
(female)

Ratties HB User
Re: Need help with little brother

He won't talk to counselors (that includes therapists)...all he will say is what he says to us "I don't know" and "Leave me alone"...his doctors aren't concerned about these issues at all..even the fact that he is 14 years old and weighs almost 200 pounds (if not more)

Closed Thread