It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
(female)

diwo HB User
My autistic son was assaulted by peer on his school bus

Hello All,

I need some guidance about an assault incident that happened few days ago. My autistic son was severely assaulted by a peer twice his size on their school bus. There were two special ed bus attendance and the bus driver. Both kids were supposed to be on harness. I've asked the MCPS transportation depart for incident report, got none, I've asked the school, none. Meanwhile my son had to be taken to the doctor for serious bite and is now on antibiotic.

I need help as to what I need to do so that I know exactly what happened:

_how come the two assistances were not able to protect my son
- why am I getting the runaround about an incident report
meanwhile the same attendances are still on duty and still coming to get my son.

My son is nonverbal and the other kid too. I've not slept since the incident happened last week.

Kindly help me out with what are my right and my son's. We live in Montgomery COunty, MD

The following user gives a hug of support to diwo:
Nu2patch (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
(female)

Nu2patch HB User
Re: My autistic son was assaulted by peer on his school bus

I don't have a respond as to what to do but from one mom to another, I just want to say how sorry I am that this happened to your son. My daughter is severely autistic and non verbal. She will be 7 in Nov. I understand what your going threw. I worry daily and constantly about my daughter and what is going on. The other day, her teacher said when she got off the bus to school that she was crying. No one knows why since she don't talk. The mom in me of course wants to blame the bus driver but I cant really do that. I think they should have camera's in all special ed buss's. I hope you get the report you need and I hope your son is ok. He and you will be in my prayers. (((Big Hugs)))

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Hi diwo..Seeing your not getting anywhere with the bus driver or school do you have a Mayor or some political person you can report this to? Sounds like the school is covering up the incident and if so, it just might happen again. Make sure you have all the Drs. reports etc. and find someone who is in charge of your county and show them a paper trail.

I'm so sorry for what you and your son had to go through but you definately need to have it reported for future reference if need be. Things like this could make your son not want to go to school out of fear which is more then ridiculous!

Good luck and best of wishes...JJ...

Old 07-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I am so sorry that this happened. Find out who is the the person that over sees the buss's and contact him for a meeting It might be the school the superindendant . I hope you took pictures of the bite and bring the medical report with you. Afteryou tell him what happened express youor comcern about the lack of supervision and incompentce of the Bus aides. Ask the man for help in keeping your child safe to and from school. Transportation may be trying to push it under the table because both children are non verbal. I would think that their had tobeen a incident report done. Try to get a copy .

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
tamekacares (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
(female)

tamekacares HB User

I understand how u must feel. I have a nonverbal son that is
autistic, and its already hard enough for them being
away from you and cant tell you how there day went.
Iwould contact the special education school board, and don't
stopuntil u get what u want.if they cant keep ur son safe
from injury fight for a one on one aid for ur son. I did
it took awhile, but never give up.
o

Old 07-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
(female)

tamekacares HB User

yes. I agree we need cameras in special ed buses.
I really am concerned about my son and other nonververbal
kids, they cant voice there feelings
this really concerns me.

The Following User Says Thank You to tamekacares For This Useful Post:
diwo (08-04-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
(male)

LawC10 HB User

I would call the School Board or try and get in contact with the Human Resources dept.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
(female)

Suzanne44 HB UserSuzanne44 HB User

I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. I would suggest that you contact an attorney who works for special needs kids and their families. The Bar Association should be able to make a referral if you do not know of anyone. If you are not getting any answers from the school, the transportation department, you probably need someone like an attorney to advocate for you and for your son.

Please let us know what develops.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
(female)

diwo HB User

Thank you all for your insights. I had to actually go to the police station to purchase the incident police report. Since the assault I now have a hard time having my son board the school bus. Meanwhile the same bus attendants are still on duty. My heart goes to the parents of the other kid but I'm very frustrated and disheartened to see how our disabled kids are treated. The day the incident happened it was over 100degree inside the bus (no AC and no functional camera). We need to come together and demand better treatment for our voiceless kids. I live in Maryland and would like to come together with other parents to demand that our kids buses be equipped with camera and AC. The voiceless needs our voices.... let us act now !!!

Closed Thread