It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
(female)

april88 HB User
27 month old son autistic?

Im new to this. we were told our son has autism. Im just not buying it. Really the only thing hes not doing is talking. He does make sounds with his mouth closed. They say he doesnt play with purpose. i think he does if he is interested in it. He understands when I tell him no or to stop. He is very loving. Wants you to play with him. The past few weeks hes learned so much. I thought autistic childrend couldnt learn the "normal" way and he has started to. If you ask for a kiss he will give you one. He just learned to wave. He doesnt mind new placese. Hes really a happy kid. He will interact with other kids. Should I believe what they told me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
(female)

april88 HB User
Re: 27 month old son autistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by april88 View Post
Im new to this. we were told our son has autism. Im just not buying it. Really the only thing hes not doing is talking. He does make sounds with his mouth closed. They say he doesnt play with purpose. i think he does if he is interested in it. He understands when I tell him no or to stop. He is very loving. Wants you to play with him. The past few weeks hes learned so much. I thought autistic childrend couldnt learn the "normal" way and he has started to. If you ask for a kiss he will give you one. He just learned to wave. He doesnt mind new placese. Hes really a happy kid. He will interact with other kids. Should I believe what they told me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Who told you he was autistic? you are right that their is more to it then just talking. Usually Dr's don't like to diagnose toddlers unless it is obvious and their is something there. I would go get a second opinion. This could be a language delay . But I am no expert.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
april88 (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
(female)

april88 HB User

It was a high up Dr at Vanderbuilt. She said cause he does things on his terms. I think thats just being a 2 year old boy that has been babied his whole live. Also cause he doesnt copy the faces we make at him or he doesnt try to copy and thing we do. Although the other day we were saying yaaahooo to him and he tried to do it back. Now if he wants us to say it he will try to say so we know he wants us to say it. My gut is telling she was wrong. She also said cause he wont follow a command. At times he will other he wont but I think cause he is soo stubborn(like his mommy). If I hand him something and say go throw this away he will.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by april88 View Post
It was a high up Dr at Vanderbuilt. She said cause he does things on his terms. I think thats just being a 2 year old boy that has been babied his whole live. Also cause he doesnt copy the faces we make at him or he doesnt try to copy and thing we do. Although the other day we were saying yaaahooo to him and he tried to do it back. Now if he wants us to say it he will try to say so we know he wants us to say it. My gut is telling she was wrong. She also said cause he wont follow a command. At times he will other he wont but I think cause he is soo stubborn(like his mommy). If I hand him something and say go throw this away he will.
To me, a lot of this is typical 2 year old behavior. I think it would be a good idea to get a second opinion. Your child sounds adorable.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
(female)

april88 HB User

Thank you. I hope your right.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #7
(female)

Suzanne44 HB UserSuzanne44 HB User

I also reccommend a second opinion - too many gray areas in what you are describing. Go for the second opinion and in the meantime find a good speech therapist and begin speech therapy, if you aren't already doing so. I think that working on language development will not only be just what your son needs right now but will also give you a better picture of what his needs and issues are. He sounds so sweet and I think you should focus on therapy for language and down the road, a second opinion. Good luck to you and your sweet son.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
(female)

april88 HB User

Thank you. He's been getting speech and ot for a while now. He's learned stuff but he won't talk. Im just don't understand cause I thought kids with autism couldn't learn a normal way and he seems to be picking things up. They also can't tell me how bad he has it just that he has ASD. I think everyone has a little ASD. I told the dr. that everything they r say why my son has it then they need to say I have it cause it sounds just like me.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
(female)

In speech therapy do they use pictures to help him learn? What I have noticed throughout the years , is autistic children are visual learners . It is easier for them to idenify and learn when they can see something that is very concrete. ASD children and adults can learn just like the rest of us. It might take a little longer or even faster. As your child learns and grows you may notice that he is stronger in certain areas, then is not in other areas. Example: my son is great with Dates and will know the year someone was born by how old they are he does it quickly, However he does not know how to make change for a dollar, or tell time, that is out of his reach of understanding. The skills he has does not match up to his weakness's. He has a diagnoses of autism and was first DX at 3. He is now nearly 18. Their were signs way before a actual DX. Evenso, I think he is high functioning.
Contact your local regional Center. They do evaluations for developmental disabilites and will support a child and family for years to come. They pay for respites services and any home therapy. The services your child recieves is through early intervention? From 0-3 years old right? What is more important then a diagnoses is the services the child is getting. However the child cannot have services unless their is a diagnoses. AS a parent you have a lot of say so when it comes to your child. If you do not agree then seek out anther opinion.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
(female)

muztech HB User

it is really very hard to say, he have autism , some time kids have some behaviours but they out grow from them and they became normal like others .and you live with your child all time so u know better then dr whether he follow commands or not , or is he immitate things or not , i think you need to read more about autism, i dont know may be dr is wrong or may be you . but at this point it is importent for you to interact with ur kid and also contect early intervention by the same time you can help ur child.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-12-2011 at 05:38 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 08-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
(female)

Suzanne44 HB UserSuzanne44 HB User

It is great that you have been doing speech therapy for awhile now. Your son is very young and doing therapy early is a perfect intervention. I would also strongly suggest talking with the special ed director of your school district to see about getting your son enrolled in a language based pre-school in your district or to ask if other closeby school districts have language based pre-schools. We did both the speech therapy and a language pre-school and eventually language did come in. Again, great that you started early!

Closed Thread