It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
(female)

peyto HB User
Angry autism and child interaction

I have written before regarding my 32 month old son and have received some great advice, however I am still confused over interaction. My son has now been flagged up 4 times for possible autism and now we are awaiting formal diagnosis later in the year. The doctor said she just needs more information from his special needs nursery regarding how he interacts with other children. The nursery have said to me that he has never interacted with another child but does with adults and always on his terms.He can be rather forceful in ensuring this. I have read that children of this age do not interact with other children anyway. He has good eye contact with family and friends when he wants, but will often completely ignore us and not even respond to his name, if we turn him to face us he will look the other way, however I find it confusing because when he goes for clinic appointments/assessments he gives no eye contact, does not respond to their questions and just lines toys up and has rages. At home he interacts quite well and thrives attention, often too much and he seems to dominate the whole household, not giving you any choice but to play at his games. He also loves rough and tumble play, singing etc. He does have a language delay and can often speak in an unusual tone/accent and tends to repeat words alot. He walks on his tiptoes, flaps his hands and his movements can sometimes be a little jerky. He also shakes his head, shrugs his shoulders. He has a sensitivity to noise and texture and has frequent,severe rages, often over nothing obvious or it could be he has dropped a toy or a train has fallan off the track. His play can be very repetitive and he is obsessed with thomas, watching it all day if allowed and playing trains. He has however talked jargon into a toy phone and fed his toy elmo a sweet, would a child with autism do this. I expect my son will probably get a diagnosis and I guess then I will stop constantly analysing him and settle down a bit, however it is hard to except when you are unsure yourself. I know something is different about him. Does it sound like autism to anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: autism and child interaction

A lot of his behaviors are indicative of autism. An autistic child will have a cluster of symtoms which can vary from one autisitc child to anther. This is why autism is a spectrum disorder. your child does well with family and people he knows. It is easier for him to interact with people he is comfortable with. Then a professional in the office , his autistic like behaviors will be more prominat in that type of invioroment. your child could eventually have a higher functioning type of autism, but still be diagnosed as autistic due to his behavior. He has a lot of strengths when he is in a place familiar to him and people he is comforable with. When he does recieve a accurate diagnoses and if it is autism or a developmental delay he will be able to recieve early intervention services. That is how it is in the United States .The sooner the services the better it is for the child.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
peyto (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
(female)

Suzanne44 HB UserSuzanne44 HB User
Re: autism and child interaction

Hi - Actually you have described some of the symptoms of my son now much older who is ASD. The important thing to stress is that you will a lot of growth and changes in the years to come. Nowadays they have behavioral interventions therapies which I believe can be helpful with the upsets. That is something you should ask your Dr. about a referral for no matter what the diagnosis is.

Also, speech: It sounds like your son is verbal which is great! My son talked in a similar manner as you describe and his language just kept coming in more and more over the years and that helped so much in him being able to tell us what he needed, what was wrong. You will learn how to ellicit from him what is bothering him. Try giving him choices of things: Giving his this control is also helpful not only for behavior but for speech/language development as well. If the preschool program does not have an excellent speech therapy component, you might want to go for private speech therapy with someone who has an excellent reputation. We did this and it was one of the best things we did. Language for my son was so important because he could then have a lot more control over his sensory issues in telling us what was wrong.

Give him predictability: Tell him ahead of time what you will be doing or where you will be going. If there is a change in things, tell him ahead of time.

I cannot of course say for sure about a diagnosis, but I do know that the speech therapy, the language based preschool and the behavioral therapy they now have are excellent interventions. Let us know what develops.

The Following User Says Thank You to Suzanne44 For This Useful Post:
peyto (08-21-2011)
Closed Thread