It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
(male)

LawC10 HB User
Toilet Training/Pull Ups

My son is 3 soon to be 4. I posted previously about insight and we had the evaluation and we found out that he is autistic. We have tried to start the potty training like his therapist have said "take small steps" which we have but the thing is. He don't like the potty understandable. We have taken away diapers and started with pull ups so he could get a feel of BIG BOY underwear. He will take off the pull up and pee in the floor right after but his pull up is still dry and not soiled. So I was wondering if anyone else was going through this or has went through this and could give me some advice on what to do cause we buy the pull ups and then he rips em off and so we have to put a new one on him. Any help would be nice. Thank You and God Bless.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
(female)

sjs40 HB User
Re: Toilet Training/Pull Ups

Hello!

Hate to say it, but i just doesn't sound like your son is mentally ready for toilet training. Boys especially take longer and since autism is a play, there is no magic age for readiness. My autistic son was finally toilet trained the summer before he was to start Kindergarten, which was just shy of his 5th birthday. I really wasn't sure if he was going to be able to start Kindergarten, but a huge sigh of relief that he made it.

There are catchy 'potty' videos that you son can watch and start singing to and becoming comfortable with the whole scenario. I did this my son, but it was a long time ago, so I am sorry, but I can't give a title. Maybe your library has something.

Reward charts helped also, to work toward a toy they want. One sticker for doing #1, and two stickers for #2 in the porta potty. If ou don't have a porta potty, you might consider one. There is less fear since it is closer to the ground and there is less of a 'drop' down. The whole flushing down in water can be a scary thought to a kid that's siting on one.

For now, don't make a fuss over toileting. If you can, get the DVD and let him watch at least once a day. 2 weeks later, see if he'd be interested in earning a toy with going where he's supposed to.

Hope this helps! God Bless!

The Following User Says Thank You to sjs40 For This Useful Post:
LawC10 (09-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread