It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
(female)

Kharr HB User
Autistic male teenager w/ violent outbursts

I have a 14 year old non-verbal autistic son, yesterday I was informed that he would no longer be able to ride the school bus because he is hitting and kicking the aids on the bus. He also is hitting other students and hitting at the window, so they are worried he will hurt himself or someone else. I did not realize how sever this had become until yesterday, and of course my husband is away for work.
His violent behavior has been growing, when he does not get what he wants he will hit me or my 12 year old son. It got to the point that I had to cut his nails very short, because he would try and dig his nails in my arm to try and hurt me. He has surpassed me in strength, I am worried one of these days he will hurt someone in my house.
I would greatly appreciate any useful advise I can get from anyone. What I am really saying is HELP PLEASE...

The following user gives a hug of support to Kharr:
huggiebear96001 (11-22-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
(male)

jonas123 HB User
Re: Autistic male teenager w/ violent outbursts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharr View Post
I have a 14 year old non-verbal autistic son, yesterday I was informed that he would no longer be able to ride the school bus because he is hitting and kicking the aids on the bus. He also is hitting other students and hitting at the window, so they are worried he will hurt himself or someone else. I did not realize how sever this had become until yesterday, and of course my husband is away for work.
His violent behavior has been growing, when he does not get what he wants he will hit me or my 12 year old son. It got to the point that I had to cut his nails very short, because he would try and dig his nails in my arm to try and hurt me. He has surpassed me in strength, I am worried one of these days he will hurt someone in my house.
I would greatly appreciate any useful advise I can get from anyone. What I am really saying is HELP PLEASE...
Have you ever brought him to a professional (neurologist, psychiatrist, psychologist, etc.)? If so, what did the professional recommend? I know it sounds like my question has an obvious answer, since you mentioned that your son is autistic, but was he diagnosed as being autistic by a real professional, or do you just suspect that he is autistic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
(female)

Kharr HB User

No he was diagnosed by a professional

Old 10-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
(male)

jonas123 HB User

Quote:
No he was diagnosed by a professional
What did the professional recommend?

Old 10-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
(female)

Kharr HB User

He was diognosed prior to his violent outbursts, I am in the military and there are not many doctors who specialize in this area, but he is currently going through a behavior analysis by a school psychologist

Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
(male)

jonas123 HB User

Quote:
He was diognosed prior to his violent outbursts, I am in the military and there are not many doctors who specialize in this area, but he is currently going through a behavior analysis by a school psychologist
I must say that I am certainly not someone to give advice; I am not a psychologist or a professional, so therefore I do not think I should get involved. My apologies for not being helpful.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
(female)

huggiebear96001 HB User

My son, Jared, is now 18 and sounds a lot like your son. We have a wonderful psychiatrist. When Jared began his violent outbursts and agression, we use the following medications- depakote, invega, seroquel and buspar, in addition to behavior modification. We also implemented a schedule system using PEC's so that Jared always knows what is happening "next." It really has helped his aggression and tantrums. Our walls, in most every room have holes from his hitting them and I was usually always bruised from his pinching/grabbing and hitting. Since the implementation of the meds and the schedule, I have no new holes in the walls and have only been "attacked" twice(bruised).
I understand the fears and the feelings. While I am not a small girl, my son is super strong and makes me look small. He is about 6' tall and weighs 200lbs.
Good luck and know that you are not alone.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
(female)

Dee Happy HB User

My son is much like yours and behavorial issues are important concers. ABA therapy has made a BIG improvement for my son and for the overall health of our family. The school cannot refuse to allow him to ride the bus because his behaviors are directly related to his disability. Instead, the school must provide your son assitance on the bus and it should be someone with ABA training. Assuming your son has an IEP with the school... I would encourage you to run...don't walk to the closest place you can purchase (or order on line) Pete Wrights book called Smart IEP's. Answers to questions like this are available in this book. Does your son have an IEP?

Closed Thread