It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

staceyv HB User
29 month old daughter, autism or speech delays?

Since my daughter has been about a year old she hasn't been much of a talker. She eventually had a vocabulary of about 15 words which inluded numbers 1-10, Dora, boots, hi, momma, Dada, va, peddle, ball and a few others. She slowly stopped using the words. Her pediatrician initially told me to wait till her 30 month appt to address her speech issues if they did not improve.

Some other details about her is that she is watched mainly by her grandparents who are Portuguese and speak a mix of Portuguese and English to her. She is not in daycare and does not mingle with other children often. When she does she is seemingly normal, not very shy and not obsessive with her toys, and shares well. She is an only child.

I decided to contact her Dr prior to the 30 month appt because I'm worried. She has some odd characteristics and I just don't want anything to go undiagnosed when we could be making progress with her issues.

She humms/mmms a lot. It is very difficult to get her to say anything and she gets frustrated when you try to get her to speak. She is also a little ocd with her toys, she sits her dolls near one another and puts things in categories, she doesn't get very upset if you interfere though and she enjoys reading. She brings me books and had me point to everything and tell her what they are. She's very cuddly and sweet and most of the time has a calm demeanor. She doesn't flap but she does have hand gestures. She knows all of her colors, numbers and her body parts. She looks you in the eye and smiles a lot, but she does have an odd sense of humor, granted she is two lol . She does not throw an irregular amount of fits and doesn't toe walk often.

She is going to children's this week for a hearing and speech evaluation. I have a feeling she is going to be placed on the autism spectrum. And I'm taking it very hard.

Am I jumping to conclusions? Has anyone had a child With similar behaviors and later have them conquer their challenges? I just want to put her in the best situation possible regardless of what her delays or disorder may be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
(female)

Jenniferajr5 HB User
Re: 29 month old daughter, autism or speech delays?

Hi.
This is my first time on this site and I joined so that I could answer your question.
My son was diagnosed on Feb. 21, 2011.
Here are some of the red flags that he showed...
He didn't walk until he was 21 months.
He would sit for hours (if we let him) in his bouncy chair, never complaining.
He watched TV at odd angles, like standing to the side of the TV and looking at it from the side of his head almost (hard to explain, but if your kid has done it you will know what I mean)
He never fights back when his brother is being a little terror to him.
He was SUPER bendy and flexible. I used to say that he would be a gymnast like his dad was, not knowing that he just had low muscle tone.
He said very few words, but understood lots.
He didn't respond to his name 75% of the time.
He is ridiculously smart. I thought he would be a genious! Still do, but in a different way.
Can play alone or by himself. If there are 100 kids in the room playing he is just as likely to be on his own as he is with the kids.

I hope this helped you a bit.
When my son was diagnosed it was devestating. I cried for days! When he went to be diagnosed I thought that they would say he was just delayed, because there were a lot of kids that day with Autism, and they all appeared different than my son. Hearing he was Autistic was a huge, HUGE shock.
But it's okay now. He is lucky that our Infant and Toddler program is wonderful! He is now in preschool at the elementary school, in the special education program. I have every reason to believe he will be fine as an adult.

Good luck to you, hope for the best.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
(female)

aelise HB User
Re: 29 month old daughter, autism or speech delays?

Hello,

I am not an autism expert by any means. I work with children of all types. Many of my students have autism. I can say that there are many children who simply have a language delay. In other words, a speech/language delay does not mean the child has autism. Even if your child is diagnosed with autism, with the right intervention and therapy your child can flourish and lead a very normal life depending on the circumstance. Do not lose hope, and try not to jump to conclusions. Your upcoming speech and language evaluation will provide you with a lot of answers and information.

(Side note: As a child I loved organizing anything and everything. My mother still laughs remembering when I used to empty the linen closet, bring all the towels into the living room, and re-fold them one by one before putting them back. I did this almost DAILY. My dad also had a collection of a billion plastic multi-colored paperclips and I would sort them by color and size. I frequently chose to play alone than with other kids so I could sort and organize, simply because that is what made me happy. And I do not have autism!)

Last edited by Administrator; 12-15-2011 at 03:12 AM.

Closed Thread