It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

mlbrooks HB User
18 month old, doctor wants evaluation for autism

Hello, first let me please apologize for my ignorance regarding the diagnosis of autism. I have never known anyone personally affected and I can only base my concerns on what I have read online.

My daughter took my 18 month old grandson to the doctor for his 18 months checkup. She takes him to a pediatric group and on this occasion the doctor involved had not ever seen my grandson before.

The doctor had my daughter answer a few questions off of a standardized checklist after noticing that my grandson would not make eye contact with her. The doctor then asked him where his nose was and instead of pointing to his own nose he pointed at his mommy's nose. He knows about 3 words, momma, dada, and bob.

The doctor has scheduled an in home evaluation of my grandson. My daughter and myself both feel that this is really premature as he is only 18 months old and an only child.

I would greatly appreciate having some opinions from some of you who are more experienced at this than I am. Any insight that you may offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Melissa

Old 12-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: 18 month old, doctor wants evaluation for autism

An evaluation would be helpful in determining any issue. I think I would welcome it. At best, the child seems developmentally behind.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
mlbrooks (12-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
(female)

mlbrooks HB User

Thank you. I just hope that it doesn't cause my daughter unnecessary stress. She is a single mom and unfortunately I am not there to help her out at the moment because I am 4000 miles away from her. It's difficult for me to even have an opinion as I have to rely on what she tells me and for the last 10 months I have only seen him on Skype, not in person.

Is it pretty typical for doctors to want to test this early?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Personally, I would think the stress of knowing there is an issue but not knowing what it is would be worse. Or does she think there is nothing wrong with the child? The behaviour you describe is not the developmental norm for that age. Does she not want to find out if he needs extra attention?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
(female)

mlbrooks HB User

He had his evaluation which consisted mostly of a sales pitch. I think the doctor must be getting some kind of kick back from referring patients.

He does not have autism. I thought it was a pretty quick 10 minute diagnosis from a quack doctor who had never even seen him before. I think that it is disgusting that autism has become the new fad disease. It takes the attention away from those who really need it and drains the resources from families that may benefit from it.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
(female)

hawk1 HB User

mlbrooks: I have a friend that has taken some psychology classes and conducted extensive research on autism and when she asked her professors why doctors are so quick with an autism diagnosis and they stated that doctors and clinics do receive kickbacks the more children are in their program. I am in the same boat as you with my granddaughter who just turned 2 last month. Believe me when I say that I am not saying that all parents, or your daughter, of possibe autistic children only have them tested in the hopes of extra monetary assistance from the government. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am only stating the facts in my granddaughter's case and I know that my granddaughter's parents are already banking on the extra financial assistance from the government so that the mother can give up her job and be paid to stay at home. Children can not learn what they are not taught. Additionally, children need proper nutrition for their minds and body to develop and my granddaughter is not getting either at home. My granddaughter is no more autistic than I am and I am praying each and every day that God will look after her so that the testing proves the inadequacies of her parents, not my granddaughter. If I had any inkling that she may have autism I would do whatever it took to get her the help. Unfortunately, just as you have stated, this does take away the attention and money from other children who do have autism and desperately need the help.

Closed Thread