It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

tinymom05 HB User
School Issues 7 yr old HELP!!!

My child is 7 and she is in regular education and i have her tested often she has a behavior plan but i think the school doesn't know how to help her they are trying things like giving her breaks, making her schedule predictable offering reinforcers. She doesnt want to do her Math and it was Reading too before which we know some of the reading comprehension she doesn't understand. The team ignores behaviors if needed and my daughter is trying to leave the room and pulling the teachers hair and kicking her. I get constant calls from the school. I told them to withold her reinforcer until she does her work and try that next. I don't know if she needs to be on meds, or get more help from an Emotional support class cause she is smart. Has anyone gone through something similar, i need suggestions. I want her to be in the least restrictive environment but at the same time i can't say the school isn't trying, they follow my advice too. She has behavioral therapists that communicate with me through notebook everyday as well. I am at a loss i want my daughter to learn, make friends and be happy. She is verbal and able to express her feelings and some of it is routine behaviors.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
(female)

sha49 HB User
Re: School Issues 7 yr old HELP!!!

Does your child have an iep? Are these new behaviors for her? Is this a school that is used to dealing with autistic children? Have they thought of putting her with a 1-1 paraeducator? I have worked in the autism program in my school district as a paraeducator since 2008, both as a 1-1 para and in an enclosed classroom, which tops out at 12 kids to 4 paras and a teacher. Sometimes what works one year doesn't work the next. I wouldn't change my job for anything! ! I learn so much from these kiddos!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
(female)

tadagrle HB User

When your daughter tries to leave the room, where does she go? Do they let her leave? Go with her? If they try to stop her is that when she gets physical? I had a student who, if he felt the need to leave the room we let him as long as we knew where he was going (it was always the media center). He would then calm himself down and return to class, in other words antiseptic bounce. Sometimes that is all they need, just a break and to be left alone for a few minutes.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

if your daughter has a IEP I would call a meeting and discuss a behavioral plan , put that in place everytime she acts out , and make sure it must be followed. the plan should include what action is to take palce when she is not able to control herself, it can also include a reward system when she is able to follow the plan. It should be a positive reinforcer , not a negative one. It needs to be cosistent and part of her routine. limits need to be in place and she should know their will be consequences to her behavior . The school could make a special place for her to go to and cool off , not as a punishment , more like a safe place to relax and feel better. I know of autistic children running off when stressed out or angry so if she is a runner, she should never be left alome during this time. I knpw of some children who do have a behavior plan that is included in the IEP.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
(female)

Mira32 HB User

Hi, first of all, is not clear for me if your child was diagnosed with something or not, from the comments I read autism, but you didnít wrote that, it can be any kind of disorder (ADHD, etc) so this is why asking you if your child received any diagnose and what it is, in this way I can try to answer more properly.

Best wishes!

Mira

Old 02-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
(female)

MonkeyLoverDind HB User

Hiya, I'm Cordelia and my brother has autism.

My brother is currently at a special needs school which is what may be good for your daughter. She is probably very smart, autistic children often are, e.g, my brother is very clever, so a special school may be good for her. You may think they restrict your child but they are very good indeed. They will help your daughter excel by giving her unique attention and routine and everything that she needs to develope. Schools for children with disabilities are very good, my brother was closed off, always getting into fights, anti-social and VERY unwell. He went to Frewen College in northium from when he was 9 to now 9he is 14) and in just 5 years has become a charming, healthy, happy boy. These types of schools would really help your daughter, and her individual needs can be catered for up until the last detail.
Hope this helps!

xxx

Closed Thread