It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
(female)

peyto HB User
aggressive and difficult behaviour in 3 year old.

My 3 year old son has just been diagnosed with autism and we are having major problems at home regarding his behaviour.He keeps pushing our 1 year old over for no reason, he will just walk past and just push her. When she cries he just keeps repeating baby cry or bash head.He will also grab hold of my 9 year old daughters hair and not let go, she will be screaming, but he won't let go. He also scratches people and grabs at the babies face. There deosn't seem to be a trigger and he is so unpredictable,we have to watch him constantly.Up until recently he has completely ignored her.
He also has frequent rages where he will scream, kick, head bang, throw everything in his path, he has to be strapped into his pushchair until calm but whilst there he has even ripped off wallpaper, eaten the foam in his stroller bumper bar, bitten himself etc
He will rage everytime he is told no or stopped from doing something, if something goes wrong, sensory overload, if he can't achieve something or express his needs , during transitions or if we change his routine or often there deosn't appear to be a trigger and we never find out.
We turn him to face us and say firmly stop or no smacking etc accompanied by the sign for stop and then he does time out in his stroller, but I am at a loss at what else to do. My daughters friend visited last week and my son suddenly attacked her.My baby has been hurt a number of times now and it is getting more urgent that this is dealt with quickly.
He does not however behave like this at nursery and they are shocked to hear that this is happening at home. At nursery he does not interact with the other children but will play alongside them.
Outside of structure his behaviour often becomes difficult and he will whine, cry and eventually start to become more destructive. He recieves one to one support once a week from the autism advisory service and works reallly well, however as soon as the session is over he starts to whine especially if his support worker deos not leave the house immediately. When I pick him up from nursery he will shriek loudly and run over to me flapping his hands and then start to whine/cry especially if we don't leave straight away, if they want to speak with me.
He deos have some speech around 100 words, lots of learnt phrases and some sentences, although his receptive language is quite poor and instructions have to be kept simple for him to understand. His assessment showed that he did not appear to recognise the emotions others or show empathy.Generally he seems happy always singing and thrives attention from adults, probably too much,he uses them like tools. he plays best /longest when he is engrossed in repetitive play and is left alone.
I do not know how much of this behaviour is due to autism or if somehow I have not been managing him correctly, he has plenty of attention at home, but I do not understand why he deos not behave like this at nursery.
Has anyone else experienced this with there child or have any advice to help me manage the situation please.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
(female)

sswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB User
Re: aggressive and difficult behaviour in 3 year old.

You seem to be doing all the right things already dealing with all this, getting him the extra help and such like.. I don't know if my suggestion's appropriate or not, but have you had a chance to see if there are there any long term changes in routine that might cause generally better or worse behaviour? For example, would there be any difference in the holidays when he's out of Nursery and at home more - it might suggest increasing or decreasing the hours? Or anything else that has an effect?

Old 02-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
(female)

package deal HB User

My son with autism is grown. The biting of himself is not unusual in autism children. My son still does it. Although your son does this to himself he not really feeling the bites of himself.
Autism cannot form normal attachments to anyone. Too much stimulie can be a trigger for his behavior.
You odvously cannot keep him at home if he attacking your baby or others. My son never attacked anyone but 1 time against a teacher. teacher blamed himself as he told us he did not approach my son right.
You said he ignored the other kids in your home till recently so something your not aware of is triggering these attacks.
is the baby older now and more active? This could be a trigger in itself. Is there a lot of noise coming from tv, etc?
IS there more light in the house then before? Bright lights can trigger his behavior.
at nursery school lights are softer. try putting softer lights bulbs thru house.
as for his support teacher goes maybe you need a new one if he throwing fits if she does not leave right away. that some times happens.
a new person being assigned to him may calm or least limit his behavior in regards to that.
if all else fails this child will get older and stronger and if he continues to attack could harm your other kids and you might have to concider removing him from your home.
tell your older daughter to defend herself.
try when he behaves the way you decribe by putting him in another room from the family where it more quiter
then offer him something he likes
when my son has his fits i remove him from the area put him in hios room in front of his computer.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
(female)

peyto HB User

His behaviour is definately worse during the school hols. He needs structure and routine.The time line has definately helped with this.He is also better when he has one to one as we can intervine the minute he starts to get agitated or if we can see something is to challenging for him and he is about to loose it or if the baby approaches him etc but often we cannot work out what causes the behaviour.

Closed Thread

Tags
aggression, attack, autism, behaviour, empathy