It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

auntyMoo HB User
Help!!!

Hi everyone,

OK so we had an appointment this past Monday with our sons doctor, as she is assessing him for ASD; she spoke to his camhs worker and he told her he strongly feel our son has autism/aspergers syndrome and that this is the route she should take for diagnosis.
The problem is she has seen our son for 50 mins (total of all appointments combined) and she said she can see traits of ASD & ADHD also she said our son definitely has learning disabilities but then refused to make any kind of diagnosis, gave us an appointment for 6 months time and sent us on our way.
During the appointment she was asking us to describe the behaviours we though were abnormal so we explained about his poor social skills his obsessiveness with lining things up and the rituals we have to go through & epic meltdowns, violent rages & wrecking the house to the humping, window licking trying to be as specific as we could but she told us that these were all completely normal behaviours she baiscally dismissed everything we said.
Surely she can't know very much about our son after 50 minutes as his camhs worker spends 90 mins to 2 hours with him every two weeks.
In a letter to his doctor the school said our sons reading and writing age is 4 years and his actual age is 9 and a half this has improved very little in the last 18months, he lacks in concertration, has obsessive behaviours and doesn't do well in social groups.

Can anyone tell me why she is being like this.

Thanks in advance.

ETA. I wrote to her as its hard to communicate with her so I wrote to her outlining our concerns and a copy of his daily diary to see if this helps.

Last edited by auntyMoo; 03-18-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: to add

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
(female)

Suzanne44 HB UserSuzanne44 HB User
Re: Help!!!

I strongly suggest going to another doctor for a second opinion; something does not sound right about the results you are getting. Perhaps this doctor doesn't know enough about autism to help you; see if you can get a referral to a developmental pediatrician as they are the ones most knowledgeable about autism. Or see a child neurologist. Your son might well benefit from medication in a small dose for some of these behaviors and IMO a child neurologist or developmental ped. would be the best professional for you to see. If there is a large university hospital in your area, call and ask for the department of child neurology or pediatrics for a referral for your son. Good luck to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Suzanne44 For This Useful Post:
auntyMoo (03-25-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
(female)

peyto HB User
Re: Help!!!

Hi your son sounds very similar to my daughter and she was diagnosed at age 10 with aspergers. The behaviours you describe are not normal for a typical child particularly regarding licking things, this is a sensory issue and is a sign of autism. You say your son has developmental concerns. Autism and aspergers symptoms are very similar although children with autism are more likely to have difficulties regarding their learning and also a delay in speech and children with asergers do not have these difficulties although may still have problems holding conversations or speak rather formally.
I urge you strongly to push, push , push for a full assessment. We also went through child mental health and they are not trained in this area. The problems we had were that my daughter had no developmental concerns and it took years to get a diagnosis. In the end I wrote every symptom and examples of her behaviour and really pushed for an assessment and eventually got a diagnosis at age 10. My son has autism and has gone through the child development centre and received excellent support.
Many of the syptoms you describe sound similar to both my son and daughter.
I do not think you can afford to wait as he will not be receiving the correct support and the effects of this particularly regarding social difficulties can be emotionally damaging for a child. Do not be fobbed off. Have you read the book Toni Attwood [do not know if I have spelt that right]it gives very detailed and clear information regarding the signs and symptoms of aspergers and also information regarding diagnosis. I found this very helpful and it may help you in identifying whether your son meets the criteria.
Hope this may have helped and feel free to ask any further questions as I am happy to help.

Closed Thread