It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

HBenfield5 HB User
My son just diagnosed and feeling lost

My son, who is 10 years old, was diagnosed yesterday with Autistic Disorder. I have known since he was very small that something was "off". I could never put my finger on what the issue was. He never learned to hold his bottle and didn't talk till he was 3, just for starters. The doctor dismissed this as he has 3 older brother that "do everything for him". Anyway, things have gotten pretty severe and finally they decided to do an evaluation. I got the results yesterday. I'm so lost and confused. This was honestly the furthest thing from my mind. They have made a referral for in home therapy. My question is whats next??

Heather

The following user gives a hug of support to HBenfield5:
Brocallie (03-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
(female)

Bbiwbkacq HB User
Re: My son just diagnosed and feeling lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBenfield5 View Post
My son, who is 10 years old, was diagnosed yesterday with Autistic Disorder. I have known since he was very small that something was "off". I could never put my finger on what the issue was. He never learned to hold his bottle and didn't talk till he was 3, just for starters. The doctor dismissed this as he has 3 older brother that "do everything for him". Anyway, things have gotten pretty severe and finally they decided to do an evaluation. I got the results yesterday. I'm so lost and confused. This was honestly the furthest thing from my mind. They have made a referral for in home therapy. My question is whats next??

Heather
Hugs to you, Heather! My son is 10 and he has had a diagnosis since the age of 20 months. My recommendation is to get the best Developmental Pediatrician who specializes in Autism. That doctor will overlook all of his care and make sure that he has all of the services he needs, including at school. I don't know what part of the country you're in, but, usually, you'll find this person at a Children's Hospital. I'm sure there are some in private practice.

Then, associate yourself with a support group like an Autism Society of America. There are local ones that has support activities for parents and children. You'll meet other parents and learn a lot of what is available in your area.

Educate yourself about this diagnosis because you are your son's best advocate. It will be up to you to decide what is or is not working for him.

It's not easy but when he's getting the support he needs, life gets better. Please feel free to contact me directly. I'm not an Autism expert but I am an expert on my son and I don't mind sharing with you. Don't feel alone. There are many of us.

Brenda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
(female)

Avon HB User

Hello,

This is just a new door opening for you, your child is the same child with the same issues, same personality but what the diagnosis means is that you can get help and support. I cried for days when my son was diagnosed but it was the best thing that could have happened. Give yourself some time to digest the news, I am sure things will be easier for you now.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Hi there,
i understand the feeling of being lost or devastated after finding out your child has a disability. First thing to do is not blame yourself for this , it is not your fault.
Now that your son has a diagnoses of autism he can have the services school will provide for him. He should be given a IEP and it will be decided by you and school officials what the best type of placement will be in order to meet his educational needs. If he is affected only mildly and can function inside a regular classroom he can stay where he is at, or given a teachers assistant to help him. If he is not intellectually affected then he will be considered high functioning and possibly given a Asperger's Syndrome later on as his main diagnoses. Aspergers syndrome is at the highest level on the autistic spectrum where the child will have average to above average IQ and mainly have many struggles with social skills , however since he did not talk until age 3 that would not be Asperger's Syndrome.
My son was given a diagnoses at age 3 1/5 and then he was evaluated by a neuropsyhogist at age 16 and given the same diagnoses , but he has intellectual delays too, when he was younger he also had ADHD and did not speak in sentences until after age 5.
Please try to rmember he is your son and you will always love him no matter what happens. The diagnoses does not define your son or who he is. It should open doors for you and your family so he can get the services he needs. Their is so much more autism awareness then their ever use to be You are not alone.

Closed Thread