It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
(female)

Micmoore5 HB User
I think my 11y.o. son has aspergers

I am new to the board. I am the adoptive mom of four great kid's. My older 3 children were placed with us at the ages of 2,3, and 5. They are now 11,12 and 14.

I am very worried about my youngest son who is now 11. I took him to the behavior psychologist at the age of 6. He told me "while I think your son has symptoms of aspergers, I am positive it is reactive attachment disorder." Honestly as an inexperienced mother I just went with what he said. At the age of 8 he was Dx'ed with ADHD and started medication. His medication calmed him down making his behaviors easier to handle, until now. He is home schooled and is very smart. He has trouble making/keeping friends, shows little empathy, obsesses over many things, he does repetitive things like poking holes in his bedroom walls, obsesses over many things, can not make eye contact when speaking, has some anger issues and more.....

I just don't know where to start. I feel terrible that he is 11 and I am just now thinking it's aspergers. Is it to late to help him? I do not have a ton of faith in the child psychologist at the children's hospital since they are the ones I took him to at the age of 6. I really feel like they saw he was adopted and went right to RAD with little regard to what I was telling them. Do you think he has enough symptoms to warrant an appointment at the autism clinic? Should I start with the pediatrician?

I just want the best for my son and I am so new to this I don't know where to start. Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
(female)

peyto HB User
Re: I think my 11y.o. son has aspergers

Hi my daughter was diagnosed with aspergers at age 10, I knew since she was small that something wasn't right and we ended up going through child mental health, they blamed her behavioural difficulties on my marriage breakup when she was two but I knew there was much more to her behaviour than that.
one day I read up on aspergers and it was like reading a book about my daughter. Eventually after alot of pushing and also being a bit pro-active writing my own reports on my daughter detailing her behaviour and giving examples we finally got a diagnosis.
We recieved very little support from child mental health and later learnt that if she had autism and learning diff then she would have received an assessment through child development centre. We were told that she was too intelegent to receive a referal although child mental health said it was a developmental disorder so she didn't really come under them either. It was a very stressful time.
I also have a son with autism who was assessed through child dev and we have receieved some excellent support and a full asssessment.They are trained to recognise the signs and if you can would probably be your best option.
However all that aside if you feel that he may have aspergers then I urge you strongly to push, push, push.Lack of support and the emotional effects this disorder can have on an undiagnosed child especially when they encounter social difficulties can cause some long term emotional difficulties and this in turn can effect there self esteme and overal happiness and behaviour.
I suggest you read the book Toni attwood as it gives very clear and detailed information regarding the signs to look out for and criteria for a diagnosis.
Much of your sons behaviour sounds similar to my daughters. Lack of empathy seems to be very previlent in my daughter and also not understanding social rules, being inflexable and not being able to see things from another persons point of view. My daughter is always right. She is also highly volatile and will become distressed very quickly.She lacked imagination and would only play with others if they played by her rules.Difficulty in social situations. The list goes on but please feel free if you'd like to ask any more questions and I suggest you read the book and list all the behaviours that lead you to feel that he may have aspergers and present this to the gp asking for further assessment.
Hope this helps

The Following User Says Thank You to peyto For This Useful Post:
dusky blue (04-20-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
(female)

Micmoore5 HB User
Re: I think my 11y.o. son has aspergers

Thank you so much for your response. I was able to get him an appointment at the Autism clinic at the children's hospital in our city. It is not for another month. But, I am just thankful to have something scheduled. I will check out the book you suggested while I wait. Thank you again!

Closed Thread