It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
(male)

mrwhiz HB User
Autism & the possibility of children

When I was about two years old, I contracted a fever. I became ill and almost died as a result of the sickness. After said time, I lost all of the speech and motor skills I had required and seemingly regressed. I was diagnosed with Autism and was the only person in my family then or since to be afflicted with the disease/disorder. My mother seems sure it was because of the MMR Vacine (I don't believe her), but it was definitely not directly hereditary.

Anyways, my parents, g-d bless them, devoted the next ten years of their lives to enrolling me in every therapy available. I had a high IQ and quickly developed a zeal for learning. By age 9 I was mainstreamed into a normal school, and by age 13 I was completely normal, indistinguishable from someone without Autism. In High School, neither my teachers, my best friend, nor any of my girlfriends could tell I had the disorder.

I attended a prestigious High School, attend a prestigious College, and will go on to Law School. I plan on marrying a woman at some point in the future, and would like to have children. My question is if there is increased chance my children would have autism, aspergers, pdd-nos, et al. Again, no one else in my family has any sort of developmental disorder, and I will go with the assumption that the would-be mother of my children does not have autism and does not have a family history of it either.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-02-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
(male)

mrwhiz HB User
Re: Autism & the possibility of children

Any reply would be appreciated...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
(female)

morchella HB User

hello

as a fellow on the autistic spectrum (higher functioning), this has been one of my own dilemas.
i do believe that there some genetic sequences (not all of them known yet) that predispose one to autism. i googled 'genetic markers for autism' and got an article up in time magazine but there is plenty of similar journalistic evidence on the web.

it is interesting that you say that you are the only known autistic in your family. perhaps childhood illness was the trauma that set off latent genetic coding for autism in you... or is it possible that there are other hidden autistics in your wider family? in my family there are plenty of autistic spectrum and similar e.g. adhd/ocd/depression/anxiety etc relatives. (yes, we are a funny bunch!)

it is very much in your favour, that you have had the interventions, (can largely pass for nt) and i would think you'd have a head start on bringing up a child who has autstic qualities or is in fact diagnostically on the autistic spectrum - if it should ever come to that!

for me, i have always said that the situation would have to be right before i'd have kids, you know, solid relationship, stable home, good support circle etc. sounds weird but these things are really important... bringing a life into a situation where life is already pretty hard, (which it is for me, on the autistic spectrum).
i am 35 now and it would not currently be appropriate for me to have children and there isn't much time left. so i am philosophical about it.

it sounds to me as though you'd make great parents. you have so much passion and learning to share.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-02-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
(male)

Chinokix HB UserChinokix HB User

Do you still feel as though you have any symptoms?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
(female)

Grid Bug HB User

Autism explains why my family is so quirky. All of us seem to be on the spectrum. We never thought about it, though, until my daughter was diagnosed as profoundly autistic. Other relatives are unusually smart but have trouble socially and are overwhelmed sometimes but now we work with helping them succeed on their own terms.
Profound autism is very, very hard but I think higher functioning people can have good lives.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
(female)

deequeen HB User

I dont think they know for sure what causes autism whether it be genetic or enviromental. I can say though that I believe one possible reason to be genetic markers. My youngest brother is on the spectrum, My nephew ( by a different brother) is Autistic, and my own child is on the spectrum. 3 cases in 2 direct generations can't be a coincidence. but have hope- many kids on a spectrum grow up, like you, to be "normal" adults. I wouldn't choose not to have a child for fear of this. Even if one of children developed Autism, who better to guide that child through life than someone who knows what its like?

Old 09-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
(male)

mrwhiz HB User

To reply to "Chinokix", no I have no symptoms. I think half of it is a normal change in my behavior as a result of the therapy, and the other half that I work proactively against doing anything that may label me as different (eg, tics, not making eye contact, or ever seeming obsessive compulsive).

To reply to "deequeen", I am not very familiar exactly how hereditary autism is passed down, but from what I understand, it seems that if you have a child on the spectrum, it is a crap-shoot on how high the IQ is, and just because I have a high IQ does not mean my child necessarily would.

The knowledge of whether or not such an example as myself would be hereditary is needed for other reasons than simply determining whether or not to have children. If I can confirm that it is NOT hereditary, then I would be able to postpone the time of when I would have to tell my "future wife" of my developmental history. If it is hereditary, it would probably be considered "pre-engagement" appropriate, whereas if it is not, it could be "post-engagement". Further, I want to distance myself from my past as much as possible, as bad as it may sound.

in this dog-eat-dog world there seems to be a stigma against people with developmental disorders. I know this is not right, and I often fight against that stigma.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-02-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
(female)

MamaBear1977 HB User

Hi There.
My son was diagnosed with ASD. The Doctor thinks it was from the horrific birth we had to endure. ASD also does not run in my family or my husband's family.
My son was our first (6yrs) we also have a daughter (almost 2yrs) and she's developing fine. No concerns with her at all.
I think you shouldn't worry about the future. If you want children have children. Don't let ASD scare you. Besides no one can predict the future. As long as you choose an amazing partner in life, I promise you everything will work out fine.

Also on a side note. Anyone who has a dx of any type of learning disability (dyslexia, ADD, ADHD ect) has a higher chance of having a child with ASD.

Best of luck to you. :-)

Reply Reply