It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
(female)

rmc20021 HB User
concerned about granddaughter

My granddaughter will be 18 months old on July 6th and I've noticed a decline in her vocabulary. She lives in Tennessee and I live in Michigan so I don't see her often. However, she spent 2 weeks with me 3 months ago and it seems as though she was saying a lot more words than she did this past week when I spent time with her.

She does not say momma or daddy or bye-bye. The only words she uses are horsie, kitty cat, uh oh and the name of her dog 'layla'. She does seem as though she's talking very quickly in sentences, but nothing is audible.

She is extremely independent and plays by herself mostly. If she wants something, she will stand in one spot prancing her feet up and down, waving her arms and whining. She NEVER asks for anything, or points at what she wants or anything else.

I tried reading to her and pointing to pictures in the book and trying to get her to repeat what I was saying, point to the picture...anything, but all she did was look at the pictures.

She has a wonderful personality, is usually very cheerful and loves to show off for people if she thinks she has their attention. She seems to understand most things, just doesn't seem to 'respond' in what I would think is a normal age appropriate manner.

My daughter seems to think she's very smart, but I don't see it and I'm worried about her development...which seems to have declined, rather than developed.

Does any of this sound as though it could be a form of autism?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
(female)

baileysgrandma HB User
Re: concerned about granddaughter

As grandmother to a 4yr old just diagnosed with Autism Spectrum, I can understand your concerns. I knew when she was 18 month old and stopped talking, not looking at anyones face and being obsessed with certain objects. You can search for a autism checklist online and complete it yourself. I sent one to my daughter and it was ignored, she also accused me of saying my granddaughter was retarded, which I never did, but she scored 8 out of 10 on the Autism checklist. Unfortunately, 2 years of doing nothing had to pass until she realized I had been right all along. My granddaughter currently lives with me, so I can get her the help she needs (mother is too busy with her job).

I hope your suspicions are not true, there is more to autism than just speech delay.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
(female)

Jessica415 HB User
Re: concerned about granddaughter

I'm terribly sorry about what you're going through. To be completely honest and open with you about my situation, my son is now 2 going on 3 and I was concerned for awhile he may be diagnosed autistic as well. I was very scared because at 2 years old he wasn't saying a word, just continued to babble. If I might suggest you ask your doctor to take a look at her ears maybe to make sure she is able to hear? My son never had an ear infection, never pulled on his ears and he would respond by looking at me or my husband when we called for him and we never suspected his ears to be a problem, but after an ENT glanced they found he had something called 'ear glue'. Basically, instead of fluid being trapped behind his ear drums, it was a sticky goop that not even his regular pediatrician could pick up until they tested his ear drums themselves and found they weren't responsive. It took tubes and his adenoids to be removed before we saw a difference. I hope this helps you.

Closed Thread