It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
(female)

baileysgrandma HB User
Question Waking up at 2 am most nights

Hi, I'm new to this board. Looking for advice with sleeping issues in 4 yr. old girl, recently diagnosed with PDD/NOS. She goes to sleep ok, but will wake most nights around 2 am and stay awake at least an hour or two, then seems to go into a deep sleep. Gets very angry when I wake her up for daycare in the morning and is hyper during the day when she did not sleep enough. I have started her on 3 mg. Melatonin three weeks ago, but so far it has not helped. Anyone else with the same problem? What was your solution? I am waiting for her first appt. with a developmental pedi, not sure how soon they will see her. Meanwhile both of us would like to get a good nights sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Waking up at 2 am most nights

Hi...my niece had the same issues. I suspect in part it was from too much stimulation during the evening hours.

In part, it could be that your niece is going to bed a bit too early?

Does she have sleeps during the day?

Do you have a routine for her at night before bedtime?
q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
(female)

baileysgrandma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Hi...my niece had the same issues. I suspect in part it was from too much stimulation during the evening hours.

In part, it could be that your niece is going to bed a bit too early?

Does she have sleeps during the day?

Do you have a routine for her at night before bedtime?
q

She has a routine, but it does not matter if she goes to bed at 8 or 10, she will wake up around 2 am. She takes a hour and a half nap during the day.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Her internal clock seems set pretty hard fast. What does she do when she gets up at 2? I take it that's when you're awakened as well?

q

Old 07-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
(female)

baileysgrandma HB User

She will quietly make her way to the kitchen, where her Kindle fire is charging, and sit in her favorite chair in the living room, watching videos. The music wakes me, so I go and put her back to bed, where she will rock against the headboard until she goes back to sleep.

I will stop Melatonin today,saw on some boards that it can give nightmares.

Forgot to mention that she is also on daily Asthma inhaler, just reduced from 120 mcg to 80. It will take another week to find out if that will make a difference in sleep pattern.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi...oh, no wonder whe's awake at that hour for a while...she has a purpose. It's good she goes back to bed when you take her there. I realise the rocking is a soother for her.

Would she possibly stay in bed if you promise her that she can watch the video in the morning for a half hour or something like that rather than in the middle of the night? Maybe she won't be as grouchy?

I guess trying different things is the only way, but if she does have asthma...it's possible that the inhaler would have something to do with her middle of the night awakenings.
What inhaler is she on? a long lasting or a preventer med?

There are some meds such as singulair that might help if she has allergies, etc. I found it to be a bit tiring, maybe used at night would help her sleep/relax?

I hope you get the appointment soon and that more insight into what's going on will help with her schedule.

q

Old 07-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
(female)

deequeen HB User

My little girl has woken at 4 every morning as long as I can remember. she is 10 now and still wakes at 4 every morning. she does the same thing every time too. gets up, uses the potty, gets a glass of water, then remakes her bed, and reads till she falls back to sleep (at 2-5 she used to turn on the tv instead of read). I found no solution to stop her. so she just goes to bed earlier. 7:30 pm for a 10 yr old may seem to early, but not if you consider she wakes from 4-5 am. try setting her bedtime earlier to avoid the crankiness in the am

Reply Reply

Tags
asd