It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
(female)

deequeen HB User
Puberty and PDD

Hi ya'll, Im new here. I have a 10 yr old daughter with PDD. She is Very High Functioning, but def lacks social awareness. She hit puberty pretty suddenly and hard. Breast tissue, hair, sweat, oil....all of it just BAM there it is. She Refuses to shower daily (she does but its a struggle everyday) because that hasnt been her routine up until now. She was showering every 3rd day, right after Dinner (routine is vital). In the past she has been able to wear her clothes 2 or even 3 times before washing them. she is very meticulous and OCD neat about getting her clothes dirty. but now, she is oily and sweating, and I can't make her understand that even though her clothes look clean, they dont smell clean after one wear. washing her face twice a day is something that was not in her routine before so we are struggling with this now as well. Just general hygiene and appearance has been hard all around. I wonder if because she is socially unable to connect, that she has no "peer pressure" and therefore can not understand the importance of upping her hygiene routine? My husband and I are both very hygenic (almost OCD) so she has had good role modeling. I took her to her doctor and she isnt excessively oily or sweaty or anything. all her puberty symptoms are normal. So does anyone have any advice, parents of other spectrum children? I can't be the only spectrum parent that feels that its sometimes 3 steps forward 2 steps back. I mean she gets to a point where she is almost "normal" despite the ticks and obsessions, but a lot like other children- then something throws us and she is needing assistance like a toddler again. Is this true of every child? or true of spectrum children? am I worrying too much?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
(female)

peyto HB User
Re: Puberty and PDD

Hi I have a daughter now aged 20 and aspergers. Hygiene has always been an issue and still is unfortunately. She doesn't seem to notice if she smells and needs alot of prompting.My daughter also doesn't care how she presents herself.
Bathing,hair washing etc were such an issue that it wasn't a part of my daughters routine either as it was such an ordeal and would often result in rages.
As my daughter approached puberty this became a big issue.
I also have a friend with a 14 year old who has autism and she has similar issues and has even recieved complaints from her daughters school regarding her hygiene, so I don't think your alone in this. Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you although my daughter will now make some effort when she goes out which shows she is beginning to become a little self aware.
Does your daughter get upset if somebody remarks that she smells etc, if the answer is yes then it may be that she will learn that way, unfortunatlely I expect you are anxious that she will get a reputation although you cannot force her to take responsibility only prompt her and try to incorperate washing etc into her routine.
Sorry I havn't been able to help but all the best and feel free to ask any questions you may have and I will try my best to help.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

Hi,

I have a 15 yo girl with Asperger's and we struggle as well. I literally have to prompt and occasionally physically do the the things that need to be done like use acne cleaning pads on her, etc in order to "remind" her how to do them. Just in the last week she began showering without prompts and seems to be taking better care of her skin.

Has your daughter begun her period? OMG, that has been terrible for us. She had not a care in the world if she walked around with a big blood spot on her clothes or if she tossed a used pad on the floor and left it for all to see. When she decided she was tired of the period, she'd just stop wearing protection...it was awful. Finally after almost 3 years of that, she can almost handle things independently; I'll just offer some verbal prompts and reminders and make sure her "supplies" are stocked for school.

A chart might help your daughter, as well as a "girls trip" out to buy some special grooming products that she chooses. I find my daughter to cooperate more if she is involved in the process.

Keep in touch! Good luck!

Old 08-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
(female)

mummymozzie HB User

children with pdd or asd tend to reach puberty a year or two earlier than their peers!
My son has pdd and started puberty 3 years ago when he was 11.
Because he is high functioning I could explain what is happening to his body, althouth
he finds erections uncomfortable and doesn't feel emotionally ready for that side of things.
Keep away from using metaphors and explain simply why her body is changing, and give her plenty of toitime to get used to the idea of periods and sanitary wear.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
(female)

MagicAlpha HB User

OMG, it is so nice to know that we are not alone on the whole hygiene issue! Our 15 year old son has PDD-NOS and is high functioning, however trying to get him to take a shower, brush his teeth and wear deorderant/antiperspirant has defenitly been a struggle for us. I have been asking myself, is this PDD (or any ASD for that matter) or puberty? I don't know if our son realizes or cares if he smells, has greasy hair or bad breath. We have worked out a deal where he agrees to take a shower on certain days of the week ( develop a routine) and plan on trying to add a day later on down the line. Then another, etc. a gradual process. Sometimes he sticks to the agreement and takes a shower when we remind him that it's his day.... and sometimes he fights us on it. We definitly get the 1 step forward, two steps back feeling!

Now, is there anyone struggling with homework issues too? As in getting your PDD/ASD children to do it? Our son is soooooo stubborn he refuses to do it sometimes and doesn't seem to care what consequences be-fall him. Any help or advise would be most appreciated!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
(female)

peyto HB User

Homework was always an issue for my daughter and I can honestly say that she never ever did any, I think the main issue for my daughter as she saw school as school and home as home and could not bring school into her homelife. No amount of punishments made any difference, just caused friction at home. She also never learnt from the consequinces of her actions, living in the here and now.She couldn't see the point of homework. sorry can't be of any help, but my daughter was always very confrontational and often refused to do things and no punishment or insentive seemed to work, however I have heard that structure and routine are everything for children with asd. My daughter recieved some life coaching and it was suggested a credit system. You decide what you want them to do and each time they do it they recieve a credit, and you both decide on a reward for a set amount of credits. you can make a chart or give some kind of token representing a credit. Used this method with some success for a different issue, but definately worth a try . good luck

Old 12-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
(female)

braveheartlionc HB User

wow we're going through the same thing, you know my daughter got a whole lot of nice bath soaps, lotions, bodywashes and deodorants for Christmas. For the first time in a long time she is smelling nice and her room doesn't smell of BO. Maybe if you try to buy her a whole lot of nice-smelling soaps and toilletries it will make her more excited about bathing

Reply Reply

Tags
hygiene, pdd, puberty, spectrum