It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
(female)

sswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB Usersswallow HB User
Immunity and Autism

Good article in PNAS 'Modeling an autism risk factor in mice leads to permanent immune dysregulation' suggesting a link between 'immune dysregulation is observed in the brain, periphery, and gastrointestinal tract of ASD individuals' with maternal infection.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
(female)

dusky blue HB Userdusky blue HB User
Re: Immunity and Autism

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswallow View Post
Good article in PNAS 'Modeling an autism risk factor in mice leads to permanent immune dysregulation' suggesting a link between 'immune dysregulation is observed in the brain, periphery, and gastrointestinal tract of ASD individuals' with maternal infection.
Could you re write this in simple language?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
(female)

ourbabypeterson HB User

I agree, could you dumb it down a bit...

I can't tell exactly what I am reading, but my son has gastrointestinal issues and has been sickly since he was 4 months old, but drs have no clue as to why he is sick... nothing genetic disorders or other issues can be determined.

Only that he "may" be on the autism spectrum... I can't ever get a straight answer out of his drs

Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
(female)

techknight HB User

I believe this is in reference to the bone marrow / stem cell transplantation for autism that is currently being tested. I actually have a student who received this treatment around this time last year. At this point I have not observed any changes that are not on par with his progression prior to treatment. His stemming has not improved, he still has oral sensory issues, language skills have slightly improved (I think more because of how we work with him daily and speech therapy), he still has gastrointestinal issues, etc.

I also have students on Gluten and Casein free diets. Some parents swear by it, but I don't know that there are any studies that back the theory.

I have an open mind. I think some things may work for some people, but not for others. The jury is still our on stem cell transplantation...but I must admit it scares me a little.

Reply Reply