It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autism Spectrum Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

dkw46 HB Userdkw46 HB User
Home schooling aspergers teen

Hi y'all,

I have a 13 yr old son who has been dx'ed with aspergers depression and severe anxiety. After years of trying public schools my son was sent to a behavior school through the school system. This didn't work either, he hated it and was sent home all the time for melt downs.

I took him out to homeschool, such a relief. He is soooo smart way above grade level, I knew this before I removed him from school, he was in 7th grade doing 9th and 10th grade work. Home schooling him is difficult because he fights the structure of it. Now I have begun to realize, the child is always learning and he learns more if I let him do it at his own pace. We can watch the history channel or the learning channel, ect. and he picks up on all the details and remembers it and enjoys talking about it. What a wonderful way to learn!! He is learning because he wants to, not because he is forced to.

Anyone else doing this? What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by Administrator; 01-23-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Reply Reply