It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

daisy-duke77 HB User
Reoccuring Boils............

I went to the dr today about continuing to get boils on my body! I got one last month and then another one this month. Im looking for someone to respond who get's these as well. She couldnt perscribe the medication that they give because it has Sulfa in it..........and i am allergic to sulfa! She gave me an ointment to put in my nose..............a body wash and an antibiotic. I still am not understanding why i am continuing to get these nasty things??? I didnt get a real clear answer from her. Could it be a bacterial infection in my body? I know the antibiotic will clear this up.........but it wont help as far as me getting these again! So in a years time this is my 7th one! She took my blood in July and checked my liver and thyroid, and blood suger level............all was normal. I just wish i had more information as to why people get these???? Also.......if there is anything you can do to prevent them???

Old 08-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
(female)

horseygirl14 HB User
Re: Reoccuring Boils............

Did she test the boils to see what kind of bacteria is in it? It could be MRSA which is very hard to treat. That would be my first recommendation. Also, boils can be very contagious so you have to wash everything in hot water, etc. Maybe you are reinfecting yourself?

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
(female)

Wendy59 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseygirl14 View Post
Did she test the boils to see what kind of bacteria is in it? It could be MRSA which is very hard to treat. That would be my first recommendation. Also, boils can be very contagious so you have to wash everything in hot water, etc. Maybe you are reinfecting yourself?

Good luck.
if I were you, I would TELL the doctor you want them cultured for MRSA. I had one earlier this year and another again a few weeks ago. BOTH were MRSA. This is nothing to take lightly. You have to demand the doctor be upfront with you. Take control of your health NOW!!!!

Old 08-31-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

daisy-duke77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy59 View Post
if I were you, I would TELL the doctor you want them cultured for MRSA. I had one earlier this year and another again a few weeks ago. BOTH were MRSA. This is nothing to take lightly. You have to demand the doctor be upfront with you. Take control of your health NOW!!!!

What is MRSA? She couldnt sample it because it hadnt come to a head yet. I never did see it come to a head because i started the antibiotic. She told me to come back IF i get another one and once i see a head on it. I have 1 more day of the antibiotic............and the 2 i have are almost gone! I am petrified that this will come back!! Yes i wash everything and especially my hands ever 2 minutes like i have an STD!!! I dont mean to overreact, but i truly have been devestated! I still dont know why all of a sudden this is happeneing! Im also expereincing a HORRIBLE itch only on my right shoulder for about 8 months! I never went t the doc, cuz there is nothing there!!! No rash, no dry skin, no bumps, absolutely nothing..........but itches like CRAZY!! The itch actually keeps me up at night! I have used every lotion over the counter.......nothing helps! She has no idea. I have an appt with a dermatologist at the end of Sept! I wish i didnt have to wait sooooo long! This may have nothing to do with the boils, but i am concerned!

Old 08-31-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

daisy-duke77 HB User

I looked up MRSA. I have a couple of questions as to why i may still be getting these? Could i have gotten this virus from the gym? There are no seat cover's in the women's room..........which has always concerned me.............but i dont think you can get anything from a toilet seat??? I sweat alot from the gym and the heat/humidity where i live. I take 2-3 shower's a day..............this summer has been the hottest, several days that were 100 degree's! Humidity is nasty! I was wondering if something has changed with my skin due to this? Also i was thinking hormonal???? Im only 35 though. I just wish i had an answer. Also.........thank you for your replies!

Old 09-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

I'm not sure if this sounds familiar, but my sister has had what she calls "cysts", but they might be more like boils. Basically these painful, infected bumps all over her skin, that seem to pop up on her arms, legs, groin and underarm areas.. She went to her dr and he told her it was most likely infected ingrown hairs, but they would go away, and then come back.. not always in the same locations. She eventually found out she had a blood infection, and was treated with antibiotics. However, even after that, they still come back now and then. I don't know if it's of any coincidence that she ended up with diabetes, but I have read that people with Diabetes are likely to have recurring infections of various types. (All this since the birth of her last child).

I hope you find out what's causing your boils.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

daisy-duke77 HB User

I only get 1 or 2 at a time..............my doc checked my blood beacuse this can be associated with liver disease or diabetes.............my blood came back normal. I just dont have a clue why this has all of sudden started happening????

Old 09-05-2007, 07:01 AM   #8
(female)

stacy81 HB User

Hi, I am new to this website, My 2 year old daughter got a boil about 3 months ago and I actually got one from her from not putting toilet paper on the toilet seat. They can be very easily spread if you sit on the toilet and don't know that you have one. I had never had one before that and I got two then and am just getting another one. I wish I knew what caused them also because they are very tender. I do know that hydrocodone works wonder for the pain. Good luck to you on this.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #9
(female)

pa43 HB User

I have had boils and cysts all over my buttocks and on my stomach for many years. I used to get a new one every few weeks. And they are painful!

Then I started taking 2 showers a day. I don't know what job you have, but I work in an office and therefore sit at least 6-8 hours a day. And in the summer, when I'm outside I sweat a lot and then going home and sleeping in the same sweaty underwear created these boils. Since showering in the morning and night, I've gotten only one new boil in 7 months! I'm not on any medication nor do I apply any type of cream to that area - it's 100% because of the double showers.

My nightly shower isn't a big production so it doesn't take long. I just hop in, soap it up, and hop out. 5 minutes tops and it's done the trick for me.

Maybe you're getting boils from blocked sweat glands like me. Try the multiple showers thing and see what happens.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

daisy-duke77 HB User

I actually do shower 2-3 times a day....... I shower when i get up.............after the gym and sometimes before i go to bed! I have finished all my med's and everything seems clear at the moment. Im keeping my finger's crossed! I hope this treatment that my Dr gave me works and keeps on working!

Old 09-17-2007, 08:52 PM   #11
(female)

Wendy59 HB User
Cool Re: Reoccuring Boils............

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy-duke77 View Post
I looked up MRSA. I have a couple of questions as to why i may still be getting these? Could i have gotten this virus from the gym? There are no seat cover's in the women's room..........which has always concerned me.............but i dont think you can get anything from a toilet seat??? I sweat alot from the gym and the heat/humidity where i live. I take 2-3 shower's a day..............this summer has been the hottest, several days that were 100 degree's! Humidity is nasty! I was wondering if something has changed with my skin due to this? Also i was thinking hormonal???? Im only 35 though. I just wish i had an answer. Also.........thank you for your replies!

FYI, MRSA is a bacteria, not a virus. You can get it from a gym. Wash your hands a lot!. Really, you could have gotten it anywhere. While viruses can only live a couple hours on a surface, bacteria can live up to two weeks on a surface and still be viable... scarey, isn't it?!! I dont't think it's hormonal. Try keeping antibacterial soaps at home, and those gels with you. They are good too. Wipe down your car, door handles, phone, remotes, etc. Just as a precaution. Am not trying to scare you. As far as typing it, all they need is a bit of tissue from an infected area and a few days to discover if that is what it is. I hope this is NOT it. But nonetheless, it is good to have the info. Hope you get it worked out either way. You are welcome. Good Luck and God Bless You!!

Old 10-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
(female)

L144S HB User

There is a skin condition called Hidradenitis Suppurativa which are boils that are not contagious. Mostly found in sweaty parts of the body like under the arms, groin, under breasts etc. They are difficult to deal with. many people find only temprary releif from antibiotics.
For the itch, there is an OTC product called boil ease which is a benzocaine works well, use it for the boils and the itching.

Do a web search and see if what you have fits the description of your symptoms. I will give you a headu up that some of the photos you may find are very graphic.
-L

Old 11-28-2007, 12:01 AM   #13
(male)

bcbud HB User

TEA TREE OIL is the best way to nip the boil at the start. I fid that if you catch it early it stops it dead in its tracks. If you get it a little later it shortens the duration of the problem. Apply liberally and often. Its cheap and a terrific antiseptic.Get it at any health vitamin store. I joined this group just to share this knowlege with you people as I get the boil in the same spot every tim; on my butt. I know why too so I am more careful. But if I screw up and fell it coming on I just grab the tea tree oil and voila.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:02 PM   #14
(male)

bcbud HB User

2% tin oxide cream will help rid one of boils. Tin oxide pills help prevent boils. Hard to find in the US but its in CAnada. Call 604 687 2564 Kripps pharmacy

Closed Thread