It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
(female)

leahnicole71 HB User
Unhappy Went to the Dr. for Armpit Lumps.. he told me this.. What can I do?

So i have had armpit lumps for 5 years. 4 to 5 of them in each armpit.. finally went to see the dr today paid a $102.00 copay and he tells me they are from using deodarant and there is no way to get rid of them, besides going to a dermatologist who will then refer me to a plastic surgeon who will then cut them out.
WHAT?
or else I could stop using deodarant for a while and see if that helps make them go away.. yeah right who can not use deodarant..

is there maybe something I can use that will help with the bumps? maybe a different kind of deodarant or a anti perspirant? don't really know the difference but would like to know if there is something I can do?
Maybe a tea tree deodarant?

Thank you for all your help.

The following user gives a hug of support to leahnicole71:
pooh r us (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to leahnicole71 For This Useful Post:
pooh r us (01-24-2012)
Old 08-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Went to the Dr. for Armpit Lumps.. he told me this.. What can I do?

Did he say you were allergic? I don't know how else deodorant would cause chronic lumps. Keep track of the ingredients and look for a hypoallergenic brand. (Almay, Dove Sensitive, Tom's of Maine, Kiss My Face, the "crystal" type)

There's a disease called hidradenitis suppurativa, aka acne inversa, that effects the sweat glands causing painful lumps. But people tend to have lumps elsewhere too. And it wouldn't have anything to do with deodorant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Mix up strong solution of baking soda and water. Wet underarms and allow to dry or use hair dryer. This will act as a deoderant but not an anti-prespirant.

I had to use baking soda water years ago and finally was able to use deoderant again.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
(female)

KDD 26 HB User

About two months ago I went to the doctor for a lump in my armpit. He told me that it was a swollen sweat gland and recommended that I not shave or wear deoderant for about a week. He said to put a warm compress on the armpit to help shrink the lump. He also gave me an antibiotic incase the armpit got itchy or red, which I had to use.

It might be possible that you have swollen sweat glands. Try not shaving or wearing deoderant for a short time (I know it was the worse thing I had to do). Also try the warm compress. It can't hurt.

KDD

Old 08-13-2008, 06:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Try a deoderant that has no added perfumes, generally marked for "sentisive skin", there are several on the market.

Tigg.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
(female)

stitcher8 HB User

I had the same thing happen several years ago. The doctor told me that I should use deodorant that does not include an anit-persperant. She said it was blocking the pores and causing the lumps. I was also told that too much caffeine can do it.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

The most common cause for lumps in the armpits is the aluminum in deodorants. Doctors should know this. Perhaps there is a profit motive?!

I use Speed Stick by Mennen. It does not contain aluminum and I do not get lumps using it, whereas with other aluminum based deodorants, I did get the stupid, very painful lumps.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 10-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
(female)

fivepadrons HB User

I was having that problem also and went 18 mos with no deodorant and even in the heat of summer. It's tough in the beginning when you are sweating out built in toxins, the order is tough. I would cold shower and then airdry and then powder. After a while, there was no odor no problem. I would have to shower morning and evening but it was worth the relief of no hairbumps. Had to go back after 18 mos tho cuz the heat here was out of control. once you start back its hard to stop. i wear deodorant mayb two days out of the week now.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
(female)

ladybugrose HB User

You might try massaging the lumps. I developed lumps in my armpit when I tore my shoulder and I couldn't use deoderant because my shoulder was locked up (and as a result apparently I got the lumps). I was seeing a massage therapist (been seeing her for 8 years) and she asked me about it because she saw one. She asked if I minded her massaging it and I said I didn't. She massaged it and then I kept doing it and they went away. Just an idea. We thought it had something to do with lymphatic system.

Multiple Rare Disorders
Multiple Medications
Disabled

Old 03-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
(female)

octorus HB User

Using an aluminum free deodorant is always a good idea but I don't think that's the cause of the lumps. In my experience the lumps are from shaving although they might be aggravated by the deodorant. Both my daughter and I have had them. Usually they are small, sometimes painless. If they get infected they can be quite painful, sometimes abscessed. My daughter had to go to the ER and have a baseball sized lump drained. It was terribly painful. If you change your razor regularly and use a good shaving cream (i love kiss my face brand) you shouldn't get them anymore.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
(female)

gcbpgh HB User

I had a similar situation. My rheumatologist could feel it but felt it was more near my breast so he sent me to a breast doctor. She was awful. She said I had too many issues (sjogrens, autoimmune hepatitis, cirrhosis) and she would not even touch it, just said it didn't exist. She does commercials here for our big hospital on how great they are with breast cancer. Its laughable.

After 3 months, still complaining, can't raise my arm and you could still feel this lump I decided to go to my chiropractor. She sent me to an orthopedic doctor. I had somehow torn my shoulder. The lump everyone felt was part of a torn muscle that was hanging down into my arm pit.....yes its true.

You may have to go to a few different doctors because they are all so limited in their knowledge. Good luck and find out what it is for yourself. let us know....I was better in a month....just back to the usual....good luck

Gcbpgh

Closed Thread