It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
(male)

RyanRyan HB User
CA-MRSA (Need help, something!)

I don't know how or when I obtained these skin infections. I'll do my best to put a time-line together.

Around the age of 16 I woke up morning with a pimple like infection in the crack of my butt. It was found to be a Pilonidial<sp?> cyst by my pediatrician. It was recurrent(form up, pop, drain, come back) leaving a few holes inside the crack of my butt.

This is where it gets cloudy for me. I have this boil near my back(if you're looking at my back its in the lower left middle[not quite on the spine though] near my buttocks) that was near the Pilonidial cyst and im not sure if the "pilonidial cyst" was this skin infection I still have.) When I google pilonidial cyst I come up with images that look like my exact scenario. Indents in the crack called the "drainage spot" and the pilonidial cyst itself up and to the left a little.

This pilonidial cyst never went away. It doesn't drain in the crack anymore and drains via the actual cyst now. It fills up with blood thins out the new skin formed over hurts a little. Pops. Drains for 3-5 days(however long it takes to skin over) then its OK for a couple days then pressure builds again and it pops, drains, repeats.

Additionally I get these boil like infections on my inner left thigh, inner right thigh, pelvic area, and buttocks leaving ugly dark marks. At first it would only be on my left thigh and it'd come like a pimple and go away. So I just thought it was pimples since i was 17 it sounded plausible. Only after turning 21 did I learn what it really was after my GF contracted MRSA on her buttocks and her boil looked like my "pimples"(and yes I feel awful). At 21 the boils weren't limited to just my inner left thigh. They were now on my other thigh, buttocks, and pelvic area. So at the time my GF had one tested, I had a similar one on my buttocks tested and it came back for MRSA. Got a run around with doctors and was finally sent to an Infectious Disease center and put on Clindamycin 300mg for like 2 weeks, Washed hibaclens, and used the nose stuff.

Whatever it is on my back stayed(im leaning more towards it being a pilonidial cyst) The boils went away for 3 months until now. After shoveling last wednesday during a snow storm, sleeping and waking up I undressed to find a tiny red bump on my inner left thigh. Instant depression. It got bigger and more painful. Peaked out and started to shrink in size and pain. Now theres this ball of probably puss under the skin and itches.

It aint over yet. At the same time the one on the left thigh went away another one formed on my pelvic area. Did the same as the one on left thigh. Expanded, hurt, shrunk, and formed this ugly ball. Yesterday night I noticed a tiny red bump on my inner right thigh.

It's like its moving throughout my body to different spots where its broken out before, rearing its ugly head to say hello and ruin my life.

I suppose death would be worse. But this can kill you, right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: CA-MRSA (Need help, something!)

Hi there,

MRSA furunculosis seems to be your diagnosis, and it must be distressing. First off, it sounds like you did undergo a decolonization procedure with the hibiclens and nasal mupirocin. After they did that, did they do followup swabs to see if you had cleared it? Second, in terms of your chronic pilonidal cyst, it might be prudent for you to be seen by a general surgeon to make sure you don't have an open fistulous tract which is now continually getting infected.

It's important that when you have a decolonization procedure that you don't have any active MRSA infection going on...in other words, no active boils. There are a number of oral medications which can be used to treat MRSA skin and soft tissue infections--sounds like you were given clindamycin.

The decolonization protocol consists of:

Chlohexidine washes for 1 week.
Triclosan shampoo on day 4
Oral septra + rifampin for 1 week (to clear GI tract. doxycycline rifampin can be used as well)
Nasal mupirocin ointment to nostrils three times a day for 1 week.

They also have to make sure that the MRSA you had was susceptible to the drugs you got. Does that sound like the decolonization protocol you got? It might also be of benefit to you, if you continue to get boils is to clean your skin once or twice a week with Hibiclens.

By the way, do you work in a hospital?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
(male)

RyanRyan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgranulomatis View Post
Hi there,

MRSA furunculosis seems to be your diagnosis, and it must be distressing. First off, it sounds like you did undergo a decolonization procedure with the hibiclens and nasal mupirocin. After they did that, did they do followup swabs to see if you had cleared it? Second, in terms of your chronic pilonidal cyst, it might be prudent for you to be seen by a general surgeon to make sure you don't have an open fistulous tract which is now continually getting infected.
They didn't do any follow up swabs. What happened was I went to my PCP(primary care physician) they referred me to a cosmologist who was basically a quack lady who just starred at my behind for an hour and made me feel uncomfortable. She did manage to swab my buttocks and had it cultured. They didn't even call me back. I found out by going back to my PCP that it was MRSA, I also found out the lady was fired(for good reason). So that is when my PCP referred me to the ID(infectious disease) center. Does it sound like a pilonidal cyst or a MRSA infection? And I have been seen by one when it wasn't flared up and he said to weigh my options (I'd have to be out of work for a few weeks while it heals).

Quote:
It's important that when you have a decolonization procedure that you don't have any active MRSA infection going on...in other words, no active boils. There are a number of oral medications which can be used to treat MRSA skin and soft tissue infections--sounds like you were given clindamycin.

The decolonization protocol consists of:

Chlohexidine washes for 1 week.
Triclosan shampoo on day 4
Oral septra + rifampin for 1 week (to clear GI tract. doxycycline rifampin can be used as well)
Nasal mupirocin ointment to nostrils three times a day for 1 week.
Are active boils classified as ones that open and drain? Meaning the ones on my thighs and pelvis wouldn't be "active." And if they are classified as active, and they're recurrent, how would I ever start it?

May I ask what exactly Chlohexidine, Triclosan, Oral septra, rifampin, doxycycline, rifampin is?

All I was told put the mupirocin in nose twice a day for a week. And wash from the neck under with the hibiclens for a week everyday and following up a second week every other day. Also repeat a second week every other day with the mupirocin. Keep spoiled bandages in a bag in the trash and spoiled wash clothes, towels, clothes, in a bag in your hamper.

Quote:
They also have to make sure that the MRSA you had was susceptible to the drugs you got. Does that sound like the decolonization protocol you got? It might also be of benefit to you, if you continue to get boils is to clean your skin once or twice a week with Hibiclens.

By the way, do you work in a hospital?
No I work in an office and sit down a lot which is why I think I may get recurrent pilonidial cysts. And not the decolonization protocol I got is described above.

Thanks for getting back to me. It already seems like you know more about it than I do. And are MRSA skin infections life threatening? I'd feel awful if I killed my GF.

Last edited by RyanRyan; 12-30-2008 at 02:01 PM.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
(female)

moomooooooooo HB User

oh my gosh! i have a mrsa pimple in the crack of my butt ann im scared to go to a doctor to pop it because im shy an i dont want them looking at my *** like that.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Does it sound like a pilonidal cyst or a MRSA infection?
*****You can't really tell from just describing it. And a pilonidal cyst CAN be secondary to MRSA. Pilonidal cyst is a type of infection, and MRSA is one of the many bacteria which can be involved in said infection.

Are active boils classified as ones that open and drain? Meaning the ones on my thighs and pelvis wouldn't be "active." And if they are classified as active, and they're recurrent, how would I ever start it?
****Active boils are ones that are, yes draining and open, or are just there period. Once the boil has burst and cleared, it is no longer active. If you always have a boil present somewhere it is definitely a difficult situation. How long have you been getting furuncles? Out of curiosity, PRIOR to you getting furuncles, were you using a lot of alcohol hand rinse and being uber clean and stuff?

May I ask what exactly Chlohexidine, Triclosan, Oral septra, rifampin, doxycycline, rifampin is?
*****Chlorhexidine (hibiclens) is a topical antiseptic which can kill bacteria on the skin including MRSA. Remember that bacteria NORMALLY lives on the skin and MRSA can be part of NORMAL skin flora. In fact, there are tons of people who walk around with MRSA on their skin and have no trouble. You are one of the unlucky few who has problems with recurrent furunculosis. Triclosan is another topical antiseptic. Septra is an antibiotic which works by depleting bacterial folate. Rifampin is a rifamycin antibiotic (I forget how it works). Doxycycline is a tetracycline which works by binding to bacteria rRNA and preventing protein synthesis.

Did your girlfriend die from MRSA?! I'm so sorry if that was the case. And no...even if she DID die of MRSA you would've had nothing to do with it. Like I said, MANY people have MRSA on their skin and it isn't a problem. MRSA skin infections themselves aren't necessarily life-threatening, but MRSA itself can become invasive and cause problems.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
(male)

RyanRyan HB User

No she didnt die. I honestly think I got it from her and I just get bacterial infections regularly. Dunno if they are MRSA or not. They go away on their own usually in 3 weeks the longest. They hurt kind of when they come in then after 1-5 days they just sit as a red lump and don't hurt at all. No fevers attributed with them. I honestly think they are just staph infections and not a MRSA infection. For instance I had something strike up like 4 days ago and it hurt for the first 2 days and now its fine. Just a red lump under the skin.

I have had many boils still. Never as painful as that MRSA one which left a hole in my buttocks.

I'm starting to think I have a skin condition called Hidradenitis Suppurativa. I probably butchered the spelling. Due to them(my boils) primarily being secluded to groin/thigh area makes me think its the sweat glands. They never spread, which could be in part because I take good care of my active boils.

I have yet to be seen by a dermatolagist, but this disease is so little known about I doubt one would be able to help. I'd end up paying for them to look and say it could be this or it may not be. And that just seems like an observation I could make.

**EDIT** I'm honestly just trying to live my life and not worry about it killing me or what it is in general. I've lost so much hair worrying these past 3 years and i'm fed up with living life in fear.

Last edited by RyanRyan; 07-30-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Closed Thread