It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
(female)

ncgrrl HB User
Question Positive Speckled Pattern ANA test.... questions!

Hi,
I have suffered with chronic muscle and joint pain for the past 10 years. Part is due to disc disease, but that's not the worst of it. Recently my doctor diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia due to the "pressure point" test along with my muscle/joint pain symptoms.

Here's the question: I just got my ANA back and it was 1:40 which my lab stated as "weakly positive", but it also says that ANY positive is positive, and my Sed Rate was over double the highest range, with a normal white count.

Mother had Lupus, and although the SLE test was negative, and my RF test was negative so I wonder WHAT is going on? My primary doc and eye doc think I have Sjogren's and I wonder too because in the last 9 months my skin has taken on the appearance of an alligator my mouth is dry, I've had salivary gland inflammation, eyes are super dry, requiring drops and ointment and I am bruising like crazy!

I'm exhausted all the time, and I hurt all the time, so I'm just not sure what these labs mean in conjunction with my symptoms. Waiting for the doc to call to discuss results. I fear that the weak ANA will cause him to dismiss things, but hoping that the high Sed Rate will get his attention.

Any thoughts for those of you who have been down this road? I've been trying to find a diagnosis for YEARS, and it's getting me down.

Last edited by ncgrrl; 10-22-2010 at 08:00 AM.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User
Re: Positive Speckled Pattern ANA test.... questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgrrl View Post
Hi,
I have suffered with chronic muscle and joint pain for the past 10 years. Part is due to disc disease, but that's not the worst of it. Recently my doctor diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia due to the "pressure point" test along with my muscle/joint pain symptoms.

Here's the question: I just got my ANA back and it was 1:40 which my lab stated as "weakly positive", but it also says that ANY positive is positive, and my Sed Rate was over double the highest range, with a normal white count.

Mother had Lupus, and although the SLE test was negative, and my RF test was negative so I wonder WHAT is going on? My primary doc and eye doc think I have Sjogren's and I wonder too because in the last 9 months my skin has taken on the appearance of an alligator my mouth is dry, I've had salivary gland inflammation, eyes are super dry, requiring drops and ointment and I am bruising like crazy!

I'm exhausted all the time, and I hurt all the time, so I'm just not sure what these labs mean in conjunction with my symptoms. Waiting for the doc to call to discuss results. I fear that the weak ANA will cause him to dismiss things, but hoping that the high Sed Rate will get his attention.

Any thoughts for those of you who have been down this road? I've been trying to find a diagnosis for YEARS, and it's getting me down.
You sound like me but my situation has been going on since about 1994 and I still have no real diagnosis. My GP..??...doesn't know what's going on other than that I have something systemic. They sent me to a Rheumy who decided after a few minutes I have Fibro and let it go at that. The medications for it don't work for me at all and I went off them after trying for a while. Finally I'm seeing a new Rheumy...this one in a major hospital in Philadelphia. He did an ANA on me in October and it came back just like yours but in my case they considered 1:40 to be negative. They said it had to be over 1:80 to be positive. There were 2 ANA tests. One didn't offer a number and it came back positive and the one with the titer came back 1:40 which they said is negative. ?? My RA factor was negative too. One more thing about the ANA test...at 1:40 (and speckled) they said I had a 30% chance of developing the disease. The other ANA test said the ANA screen is not a specific test for a single disease. Positive results may be found in many autoimmune diseases, chronic infections, and inflammatory diseases and in some malignancies, certain drugs and also induce a positive ANA. At the moment he's wondering about malignancies. Anyway, just a little more information I got on my lab reports regarding my ANA.

Hope this helps,
Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
(female)

slkfranklin HB User

Hi! I am pretty much having the same problem. My nurse practioner did an ANA after about 5 years of symptoms and no answers. It came back speckled as well. She told me she thought it could be Lupus due to my symptoms: Hair loss, fatigue, digestive problems, severe pain in the shoulders, neck and base of head, migraines almost daily, tachycardia, digestive problems, sun and heat sensitivity that would cause very fast heart rate, irregular periods, frequent yeast infections, frequent UTI's, severe edema in which I can not breath and in legs, frequent sore throats and a red scaly rash on the left side of my face with a new small red patch on my right cheek. She sent me to a reputable rhume in Huntsville, AL. With in minutes he diagnosed me with Fibromylagia. He did tons of tests to test for Lupus and everything came back negative including my ANA this time. I am going to a derme in a couple of weeks to get the rash on my face tested. Hopefully it will give me a diagnosis. I don't understand how a "good" rhume can just overlook so many symptoms and just go on bloodwork and not look at the WHOLE picture. Do you have any rashes? I have been told that if your bloodwork comes back negative that the rash should give you a diagnosis if they do the stain test on it.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkfranklin View Post
Hi! I am pretty much having the same problem. My nurse practioner did an ANA after about 5 years of symptoms and no answers. It came back speckled as well. She told me she thought it could be Lupus due to my symptoms: Hair loss, fatigue, digestive problems, severe pain in the shoulders, neck and base of head, migraines almost daily, tachycardia, digestive problems, sun and heat sensitivity that would cause very fast heart rate, irregular periods, frequent yeast infections, frequent UTI's, severe edema in which I can not breath and in legs, frequent sore throats and a red scaly rash on the left side of my face with a new small red patch on my right cheek. She sent me to a reputable rhume in Huntsville, AL. With in minutes he diagnosed me with Fibromylagia. He did tons of tests to test for Lupus and everything came back negative including my ANA this time. I am going to a derme in a couple of weeks to get the rash on my face tested. Hopefully it will give me a diagnosis. I don't understand how a "good" rhume can just overlook so many symptoms and just go on bloodwork and not look at the WHOLE picture. Do you have any rashes? I have been told that if your bloodwork comes back negative that the rash should give you a diagnosis if they do the stain test on it.
I do have a rash on my face and sometimes it's redder than others and they said it looks like Roseca (sp) and not the typical Lupus rash. Do you know if you have a high SED rate? That would be an indication that your problem is more than Fibro. It's a marker for inflammation which is not something you would have with Fibro unless you have another condition with it. Did the doctor put you on medications for Fibro?? They didn't do a thing for me. I was on Lyrica first and then Lyrica and Cymbalta and then a year or so later..long after I had come off the first two things they gave me something else...began with an S...can't think what it was called but it was horrible. It made my heart race and feel like it was pounding out of my chest. I called the doctor and told her. I already have a rapid and irregular heart rate...why would I want to mess with it and make it worse? She said "keep taking it". I tried it again thinking maybe it was just me and not the medication but it happened again so the pills and the Rheumy and I parted company. Good luck finding someone who can treat you. Most doctors are probably ok if you have straight forward blood work but when you have symptoms and some really off indicators in your blood work...they just don't know what to do and they stick you in the Fibro basket. It's easy for them to do that. In all honesty I do think I have it but I have enough strange stuff in my blood work to prove there is something else at play...the puzzle is finding someone to figure it out for me. I think I finally have that now. No DX just yet but we'll get there. I see him again on 2/8...maybe...I'll get a DX and something for treatment.
Take good care,
Sharon

Old 01-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
(female)

slkfranklin HB User

I am not sure about my sed rate. I haven't seen my bloodwork. I think I am going to ask for a copy of it. The rhueme told me that my rash looked like rosacea too. I have read that it is hard to destinguish between the two. I just don't see how we can have all of these symptoms and be diagnosed with fibromyalgia. None of the pressure points were even tender on me. But that is still what he diagnosed me with. I agree....I think when they don't have a clue they just stick you with fibromyalgia. I emailed the Lupus foundation and someone emailed me back. She told me that it is very common to get 2-3 negatives before you get a positive. She said that it is such a sensitive test and you could be in "remission" when they test you and cause the negative test results. I just know that I am not giving up because it is my body and I know how I feel. Best wishes to you!

Lisa

Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkfranklin View Post
I am not sure about my sed rate. I haven't seen my bloodwork. I think I am going to ask for a copy of it. The rhueme told me that my rash looked like rosacea too. I have read that it is hard to destinguish between the two. I just don't see how we can have all of these symptoms and be diagnosed with fibromyalgia. None of the pressure points were even tender on me. But that is still what he diagnosed me with. I agree....I think when they don't have a clue they just stick you with fibromyalgia. I emailed the Lupus foundation and someone emailed me back. She told me that it is very common to get 2-3 negatives before you get a positive. She said that it is such a sensitive test and you could be in "remission" when they test you and cause the negative test results. I just know that I am not giving up because it is my body and I know how I feel. Best wishes to you!

Lisa
Hi Lisa,

Always get copies of your blood work and whatever x rays and test you have done. Keep a file of all your medical labs, test and whatever else there is. When you change doctors you'll have all the latest information to take to him/her. Besides, you need to know what your numbers are. Be proactive where your healthcare is concerned.

The Lupus Foundation person who wrote is right. You can be active at times and not active at times. There are other criteria they go by though to DX Lupus. Is there a university hospital near you? Just curious. If there is, maybe try a Rheumy there. They pretty much see it all and have more experience. If you're not satisfied with the doctors you have...find someone else who you feel is right for you. Get all your labs and stuff first...see what they're looking at and go from there.

All the best,
Sharon

Closed Thread