It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
(female)

amy744 HB User
Undiagnosed thyroid and enlarged lymph nodes

Hi, I am new here and am very confused about my condition. I have been to several doctors with no diagnosis but have somewhat serious symptoms concerning my lymph nodes. I am 24, in April I had several bouts of infections in my throat and was put on several antibiotics but were not very effective. My tonsils which I had removed as a child have completely grown back and are enlarged on one side. Months before this I began having excruciating pain on one side of my face and jaw. I was referred to a neurologist who diagnosed trigeminal neuralgia and discovered masses in my neck by way of MRI of my head and neck. This is when I noticed a swollen node on one side of my neck. An EEG was normal and CT scan confirmed masses in my neck. I was then referred to an oncologist who ordered blood tests, CT of abdomen, chest and neck and ultrasound of thyroid. Blood tests were normal (as far as I know of what the doc told me) except for low iron and negative for pneumonia, mono, HIV and hepatitis. Thyroid levels were also normal. The CT scans and ultrasound showed 2 nodules in the thyroid with calcification and chronic inflammation, several enlarged nodes in my chest, neck, abdomen and ovary many being 1-4cms in size.
I have been put on at least 6 different antibiotics since April and became allergic to Bactrim the second time I took it. I have gained over 40 lbs in the last year, am fatigued, weak and dizzy. I have joint and muscle pain, blurry vision at times, dry itchy skin and difficulty breathing and swallowing. I also have intermittent abscesses under my arms that begin around July. When I got the results from the most recent tests I was told it was not cancer but was not given any other ideas about diagnosis or treatment. I am going back to the onco tomorrow to try to get more answers. I am just very confused and tired of being poked and prodded as this has been going on for so long. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Do autoimmune thyroid disorders have an effect on other lymph nodes? How or why would there be chronic inflammation of the thyroid?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
(female)

dhwhite HB User
Re: Undiagnosed thyroid and enlarged lymph nodes

Boy do you sound like me. I have been dizzy, head pressure, neck and back pain and now that they have done so many mri's, ct scans, x-ray of neck, blood work they have found nothing but this mass on my left thyroid. The weird thing is that I have just started to now have these swollen lymph nodes. My throat does feel stiff. The Ultra Sound yesterday just confirmed the mass. There are no more and the mass hasn't grown, but I do need a FNA because the size is 22 mm. I have been tld its pretty small. If you get any answers please let me know, cause my situation sounds a lot like yours.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
(female)

littlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB User

Have any of you looked into Lyme Disease?

Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
(female)

sassygirlnh HB User

Sound similar to my symptoms in the beginning of my seven years of being sick all of the time. I was misdiagnosed with MS and treated for it. But the problem was that it was lyme disease not MS. and now it is uncurable.

The following user gives a hug of support to sassygirlnh:
littlehutton (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
(female)

littlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB User

sasseygirl

I too have lyme disease, and it certainly sounds similar to some of the symptoms that have been described here by some of the others.

Have you not been treated for lyme? Some believe there is no cure, and that you can just put it into remission, but I know of many people who have been off antibiotics for years with no returning symptoms, and these were people who have had chronic Lyme. I have only been on treatment for 3 months, so early days for me.

Have you ever seen an LLMD?

Best wishes

LH

Closed Thread