It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
(female)

djc0619 HB User
Question What do all these tests mean?

My symptoms started almost a year ago when I started getting dizzy alot and felt like I had vertigo. Then approx. in August of last year I started to slowly lose my vision, everything was becoming blurry and my peripheral vision was going fast. I don't have insurance so I put off going to the eye doc but when it got so bad I couldn't drive I paid the cash and found out that I had white blood cells grouped in the back of my eyes. He suggested I go to a rheumatologists, well without insurance that wasn't gonna happen. I finally made an appointment with one of the Doctors at our Health Department and she ran some tests the results came back as follows: ANA 1:80 tilter speckled, DNA AB (DS) 5 and C-Reactive Protein 2.1. I have been referred to a rheumatologists for a August appointment but I am nervous I will be blind by then!! Can anyone explain these test results to me so that I can understand what I may possibly have? I don't expect a diagnosis over the internet just some kind of explanation if possible. Thanks After reading alot of the post's I feel I must add that I have been checked for Fibermyalgia and have no signs of it at all but I was diagnosed years ago with CFS. Thanks for your help ya"ll, Debbie

Last edited by djc0619; 04-14-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Update info

Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
(female)

psychiatric nur HB User
Re: What do all these tests mean?

Dear what do all these tests mean. The ANA shows inflamation such as lupus, the C reative is indiciatve of another auto immune disease called Sjogrens. I am not sure what the white blood cells behind the eye is about. Your vision may or may not improve with treatment. Mine did not. I have to change my glasses prescription every 3 or 4 months and I need to see. I am a nurse and it is vital I am able to see my dr.s orders etc. The Sjogrens is treatable but not curable. It is very painful at times and effects organs and soft tissue such as mouth, eyes, intestines, heart, and kidneys.
I wish you the best of luck and hope this helped some.

G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

It sounds like the eye doc thinks you may have uveitis which is caused by inflammation and occurs with several auto-immune disorders. I have it from rheumatoid arthritis. And your blood work shows a profile typical of auto-immune disorders such as lupus. I have the raised CRP but not the ANA although it has gone up at times(and that is not uncommon for it to go up and down).

If your vision gets considerably worse so that you can't function, then go to the ER. Otherwise, just keep an eye on it(pun intended) and if it worsens, call and let it be known that your eyes are getting worse so maybe they can get you in sooner.

I, too, worried that I might go blind if I didn't get in sooner but I didn't and still haven't. Fact is, it goes up and down and sometimes it's bad and other days I can see just fine. That is the nature of inflammation.....it fluctuates. But real deterioration of your sight is actually very slow.

Hang in there.

Hugs............Jenny

Old 04-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
(female)

djc0619 HB User
Thumbs up Re: What do all these tests mean?

Thanks so much for all of the great advice it has been so helpful!! Everything that I have investigated points to Lupus with the possibility of an addition auto immune disease. After reading several peoples experience's I realized that I have many more symptoms then I had realized. Some of them being very weak arms and legs, sever fatigue (to the point that I cant barely get out of bed), harsh joint pain, swollen hands that every now and again get rough feeling and peel several layers of skin from my finger tips this also happens on my toes, at night I have sever restless leg syndrome as well as very, very hot legs, feet and hands. Since I was just a child I have always had a problem with sensitivity to being out side when it's bright. I have alot of tooth decay even though I brush regularly but have had to have alot of teeth pulled because they just started breaking. When it's hot outside or I exert myself I get very red in the face to the point that people ask me if I'm okay. About 6 years ago I had a Doctor tell me that my blood tests came back positive for RA but since then 2 other blood tests came back negative for RA however my blood work always comes back with some abnormality. I am just scared because I have a feeling that since 1998 I have been misdiagnosed and that what ever auto immune I have has taken a huge toll on my body. My liver fungtion test came back AST (SGOT) 71 (10-30 U/L) H and ALT (SGPT) 122 (6-40 U/L) H so my doctor did another liver function test a month later and said that is was okay so needless to say I am confused!! But again thank you so much for your input it has helped alot sometimes reading things on the internet scare you so bad. You are wonderful people and you will never know how much I appreciate your help!!

Last edited by djc0619; 04-15-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
(female)

sunsideup HB User

Hi djc0619, have you kept a diary of your symptoms to take with you when you talk to your doctor? It seems like your symptoms might help you move up your appointment with the rheumatologist. I know its hard to remember all the crazy aches and pains, but symptoms are such an important part of diagnosis! good luck!

Last edited by sunsideup; 04-15-2011 at 12:15 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunsideup For This Useful Post:
djc0619 (04-15-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
(female)

djc0619 HB User

I have started keeping a list but need to be more diligent with it as I know it will help the Doctor diagnose whatever I have alot quicker. I have called the Doctor's office and talked to them about my eye sight getting worse and they said they would put me on the cancellation list but August was the soonest I could get a firm appointment!! So I am keeping my fingers crossed that someone cancels!! Thanks your a sweetheart I appreciate your concern!!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
(female)

houstonlady HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc0619 View Post
My symptoms started almost a year ago when I started getting dizzy alot and felt like I had vertigo. Then approx. in August of last year I started to slowly lose my vision, everything was becoming blurry and my peripheral vision was going fast. I don't have insurance so I put off going to the eye doc but when it got so bad I couldn't drive I paid the cash and found out that I had white blood cells grouped in the back of my eyes. He suggested I go to a rheumatologists, well without insurance that wasn't gonna happen. I finally made an appointment with one of the Doctors at our Health Department and she ran some tests the results came back as follows: ANA 1:80 tilter speckled, DNA AB (DS) 5 and C-Reactive Protein 2.1. I have been referred to a rheumatologists for a August appointment but I am nervous I will be blind by then!! Can anyone explain these test results to me so that I can understand what I may possibly have? I don't expect a diagnosis over the internet just some kind of explanation if possible. Thanks After reading alot of the post's I feel I must add that I have been checked for Fibermyalgia and have no signs of it at all but I was diagnosed years ago with CFS. Thanks for your help ya"ll, Debbie
Did they happen to mention HLA-B27? Don't wait until August. I have been to a lot of docs and for your issues I would go to Dr. Rosa Kim. She is with Retina Consultants of Houston. She is in a different office every day and may be near you. She will explain all of it. Be prepared for eye injections. It sounds terrible but beats the heck out of taking any other meds orally or though injections. Dr Friedman is a decent Rheumatologist. His office is on Sunset and not convenient to get to, but he will explain things and his staff is quite nice. Also, he works with r. Kim if meds are needed. If they are you need blood work to make sure your liver is not being damaged. This sounds like what I went through 20 years ago. They said I had an HLA-B27 gene and for some reason this gene makes uveitis incurable. It is TREATABLE-don't delay. Get help NOW.

Reply Reply