It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
(female)

rosieshaw HB User
Question autoimmune

Hello, I have fibromyalgia, my younger sister has Hashimoto and my older sister had coeliac. Are these all autoimmune diseases and are they somehow related?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
(female)

KimberleyM HB User
Re: autoimmune

I also have Hashimoto's. Ive read that they are all connected in some way and Hashimoto's is hereditary. You can become Coeliac with hashimoto's as well as the Gluten sends the Autoimmune antibodies into a frenzy which makes them increase the attack on the Thyroid Gland. If you haven't already, it would be a good idea if you all were tested for each others disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: autoimmune

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberleyM View Post
I also have Hashimoto's. Ive read that they are all connected in some way and Hashimoto's is hereditary. You can become Coeliac with hashimoto's as well as the Gluten sends the Autoimmune antibodies into a frenzy which makes them increase the attack on the Thyroid Gland. If you haven't already, it would be a good idea if you all were tested for each others disease.
Coeliac disease actually affects the lining of the gut and causes atrophy of the vili lining the small intestine, resulting in various malnutritions, and bowel problems. It also can affect the skin in a form called dermatitis herpetiformis, which has nothing to do with herpes, but causes small blisters and itches intensely. To my knowledge, there are no antibodies that are yet associated with Fibromyalgia. In Hashimoto's disease, the thyroid is the organ affected, often resulting in a goiter, with the net result of a lessening or failure of thyroid function. Of course, I'm only a patientso always check with your Dr. The research still seems inconclusive or not available on fibromyalgia as an autoimmune disease. So yes, coeliac and Hashimoto's are autoimmune diseases and have been linked in via research. Some people who have Hashi's also have coeliac disease. One is not caused by the other however. You can add this in as well, some few lucky people who have Hashi's and coeliac disease have another autoimmune disease called scleroderma. Linked, but not in the way you mean. Autoimmune diseases are currently thought to have both a genetic component as well as an environmental trigger. All clear as mud

Closed Thread