It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

JessUgh HB User
Autoimmune or Diabetes?

Hello everybody, I am brand new to this type of website, so please bare with me as I try and figure out how to properly use this, and let me just start by saying thank you in advance to any replies/support/or thoughts. I wasn't sure if I should tell my story how it happened or just list my symptoms, so I just did both.

I am a twenty-one year old female, I weigh somewhere between 140-150 pounds (relatively muscular) and I am 5'7". I have been considerably healthy until I contracted mono around Christmas of 2009, which lasted for about 4 months to my knowledge. I never felt great after that but around last April or so I started to notice changes in my body.. if you want me to explain ANY of my symptoms please ask, I will be happy to. It would be easier if I explained them all individually how they occured/feel but that would take a lot of time and space. I have been cleared for pregnancy many times, and also had blood work done for any STDs which came back completely negative.

- Extreme fatigue, always had a great deal but it has greatly increased

- Dry, itchy, white patches during summer months on back of legs, inner arms, and folds of eyelids

- Livedo Reticularis in cooler months on inner thighs, groin, stomach, chest, palms, and inner arms

- Splitting of fingernails horizontally, as well as peeling.

- Skin more dry than usual

- Changes of skin in breast area, but note a bilateral nipple inversion

- Burning sensation on gums, at one point I did have Oral Thursh

- No matter how much water is consumed, I am constantly dehydrated

- Changes in bowel movements, but still relatively regular

- Hormone changes, such as an increased body odor

- What I describe as "waves of hot flashes," which causes more sweating

- Episodes of night sweats which come and go

- Swollen lymph nodes in throat, neck, armpit, and groin

- Darkening of skin or red undertone

- Muscle fatigue, such as bending over or walking up stairs kills me

All those have bothered me, but I just blamed it on my genes, mono, ect. and obviously I have lived with them for almost a year to a year and half.. but it was not until these next few symptoms I describe that really have me worried, so I am going to describe this so you can really understand the depth of it.. again, thank you for reading this.

---Christmas time 2010 I had been noticing my eyes being more irritated than usual, which I had been struggling with that since of '08, but lately I just could not get the redness and what felt like inflammation under control. I had %100 thought that whole time it was allergies, so I had been using the Walmart brand of allergy eyedrops about eight time a day for 4 years, not good. I had no idea that was bad for you, but then I spoke to an Optometrist who told me to stop that and use lubricating eyedrops instead. At a party a friend said to me.. "My, your pupils are huge." I thought nothing of it, still thinking it was allergy related and that I had been using those horrible eyedrops of course they were probably annoyed. The next week I just was looking in the mirror putting makeup on and I realized my pupils were what I thought as adjusting.. but they never focused, they simply continued to flucuate and constrict. They have been doing that to this day since I realized the constriction. So being alarmed as I was, I called the Optometrist.. she explained the use of those cheap allergy eyedrops could've possibly caused that, so I brushed it off and was told to wait six months of the chemicals to rid themselves of my body. I was really upset about waiting so long, because I thought surely that couldn't take that long for my pupils to stop flucuating. Well six months came and went.. no relief, in fact they started to get worse in new ways. I was laying in bed one day and it was dim in my room but there was a little light peeking through the windows.. and I am assuming it was the contrast that made me realize it, but low and behold.. my vision was actually shaking. NOT my eyes, my vision itself. This happened in May, but in the last month or so an even worse symptom has taken control of my life nearly.. I cannot drive at night, my balance is worse, I am dizzy and nauseated frequently because now I have progressed to what you'd call Oscillopsia. My head -CONSTANTLY- feels like it's bobbing and swaying. I cannot tell if it's my actual head or my vision, that's how real it feels. When I walk in a hallway my body cannot help but slide into the wall.. and the worst is if I bend over/tilt my head back and then try to move. My mind cannot catch up quickly enough with my body I guess.. last week I smashed my face into a brickwall because of this, and then nearly wrecked the next evening.. am I going insane?

My top five guesses are
-Diabetes
-Hypothyroid
-Possible inner ear?
-Some sort of an autoimmune
-Lupus

I have made an apointment with an eyedoctor next Friday.
Any thoughts? I apologize for the novel..

Last edited by JessUgh; 09-19-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
(male)

mrmumbels HB User
Re: Autoimmune or Diabetes?

Have you tried a round of steroids? Like methylprednisolone? If not try to convince a doc to let you. I have similar symptoms and the steroids helped a lot. Still waiting to get diagnosed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessUgh View Post

Hello everybody, I am brand new to this type of website, so please bare with me as I try and figure out how to properly use this, and let me just start by saying thank you in advance to any replies/support/or thoughts. I wasn't sure if I should tell my story how it happened or just list my symptoms, so I just did both.

I am a twenty-one year old female, I weigh somewhere between 140-150 pounds (relatively muscular) and I am 5'7". I have been considerably healthy until I contracted mono around Christmas of 2009, which lasted for about 4 months to my knowledge. I never felt great after that but around last April or so I started to notice changes in my body.. if you want me to explain ANY of my symptoms please ask, I will be happy to. It would be easier if I explained them all individually how they occured/feel but that would take a lot of time and space. I have been cleared for pregnancy many times, and also had blood work done for any STDs which came back completely negative.

- Extreme fatigue, always had a great deal but it has greatly increased

- Dry, itchy, white patches during summer months on back of legs, inner arms, and folds of eyelids

- Livedo Reticularis in cooler months on inner thighs, groin, stomach, chest, palms, and inner arms

- Splitting of fingernails horizontally, as well as peeling.

- Skin more dry than usual

- Changes of skin in breast area, but note a bilateral nipple inversion

- Burning sensation on gums, at one point I did have Oral Thursh

- No matter how much water is consumed, I am constantly dehydrated

- Changes in bowel movements, but still relatively regular

- Hormone changes, such as an increased body odor

- What I describe as "waves of hot flashes," which causes more sweating

- Episodes of night sweats which come and go

- Swollen lymph nodes in throat, neck, armpit, and groin

- Darkening of skin or red undertone

- Muscle fatigue, such as bending over or walking up stairs kills me

All those have bothered me, but I just blamed it on my genes, mono, ect. and obviously I have lived with them for almost a year to a year and half.. but it was not until these next few symptoms I describe that really have me worried, so I am going to describe this so you can really understand the depth of it.. again, thank you for reading this.

---Christmas time 2010 I had been noticing my eyes being more irritated than usual, which I had been struggling with that since of '08, but lately I just could not get the redness and what felt like inflammation under control. I had %100 thought that whole time it was allergies, so I had been using the Walmart brand of allergy eyedrops about eight time a day for 4 years, not good. I had no idea that was bad for you, but then I spoke to an Optometrist who told me to stop that and use lubricating eyedrops instead. At a party a friend said to me.. "My, your pupils are huge." I thought nothing of it, still thinking it was allergy related and that I had been using those horrible eyedrops of course they were probably annoyed. The next week I just was looking in the mirror putting makeup on and I realized my pupils were what I thought as adjusting.. but they never focused, they simply continued to flucuate and constrict. They have been doing that to this day since I realized the constriction. So being alarmed as I was, I called the Optometrist.. she explained the use of those cheap allergy eyedrops could've possibly caused that, so I brushed it off and was told to wait six months of the chemicals to rid themselves of my body. I was really upset about waiting so long, because I thought surely that couldn't take that long for my pupils to stop flucuating. Well six months came and went.. no relief, in fact they started to get worse in new ways. I was laying in bed one day and it was dim in my room but there was a little light peeking through the windows.. and I am assuming it was the contrast that made me realize it, but low and behold.. my vision was actually shaking. NOT my eyes, my vision itself. This happened in May, but in the last month or so an even worse symptom has taken control of my life nearly.. I cannot drive at night, my balance is worse, I am dizzy and nauseated frequently because now I have progressed to what you'd call Oscillopsia. My head -CONSTANTLY- feels like it's bobbing and swaying. I cannot tell if it's my actual head or my vision, that's how real it feels. When I walk in a hallway my body cannot help but slide into the wall.. and the worst is if I bend over/tilt my head back and then try to move. My mind cannot catch up quickly enough with my body I guess.. last week I smashed my face into a brickwall because of this, and then nearly wrecked the next evening.. am I going insane?

My top five guesses are
-Diabetes
-Hypothyroid
-Possible inner ear?
-Some sort of an autoimmune
-Lupus

I have made an apointment with an eyedoctor next Friday.
Any thoughts? I apologize for the novel..

Old 09-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User
Re: Autoimmune or Diabetes?

Hi, it definitely sounds like you have something autoimmune going on. Have they ever done any bloodwork for your thyroid or an ANA? Also maybe look up Addison's disease and other adrenal gland issues as it sounds like you have some features of that (the colour changes, dehydration and your pupils especially!). I would try to get some more basic bloodwork (chemistry, electrolyes, CBC, ESR, complement, ANA, kidney function, etc) as these symptoms seem to have been going on for a while. I would try to get any autoimmune or hormone bloodwork done before you take any prednisone as it can influence the results.

Reply Reply