It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
(female)

sunberry HB User
Frustrated and don't know where to turn

This is my first post here, so apologies if itís in the wrong section. Iím just hoping someone may recognise any correlation of the symptoms or be able to offer any advice.

Just over two years ago I started to become ill. Itís been very sporadic and creeping (and not nearly as bad as a lot of people on here), but unfortunately many of my issues have become chronic and Iím now at the end of my tether, Iím always tired and just seem to have no energy.
My doctor has seen all the issues as quite linear and itís now to the point that I am now taking a ridiculous amount of medication for what he seeís as separate issues (and maybe thatís true - I just donít know). Any insight into the below would be gratefully received:

Neck pain - ongoing problems with my neck and quite bad muscle spasms which flare up every now and again. Currently in the middle of a flare-up and am on naproxene, amitriptyline and co-codamol.

Chronic sinusitis Ė headaches and postnasal drip with many ďflare upsĒ since 2009. Tried antibiotics, steroid nasal sprays etc. nothing has worked so far.

Dry eyes and mouth ĖKeep getting conjunctivitis and sensitivity to light. Real issues in 2010 with swelling and infections. Had eye test Ė all ok. Prescribed eye drops and much better.

Gastric problems Ė Started 12 months ago with lots of stomach spasms, nausea and burping. I got really quite ill. Stopped eating fatty foods and dairy which helped calm everything down, but still ill with burping, nausea and now constipation/diarrhoea. Felt worse with peppermint oil tablets and had patchy results with anti-spasmodics. Celiac testing came back negative and have been dropped into the ďIBSĒ bucket.

Head tingling Ė Had a weird burning tingling sensation on top of head and right side of face along cheekbone which came on very suddenly. Was scared enough to go to walk-in centre who suspected shingles but no rash ever occurred.
Milder tingling/ nerve pain(?) keeps occurring usually at the front of my head near the hairline and forehead. Feels like low setting TENS machine tingles. GP has said itís not related to neck or sinuses as itís in the wrong place, but could be anxiety or stress (itís really not! and I hate it when he keeps saying that.)

Hips Ė Just recently Iíve also started having problems when walking the dog over a few miles. My groin area/hips starts hurting on both sides but mostly on left and I struggle getting up hill and the stairs. After one walk I couldn't even lift my leg up! I thought it could be due to misalignment of my hips compensating for my neck but my physio says itís unlikely, but also didn't offer any other explanations.

Iíve had a friend suggest possible Auto immune disease as my mother has an elevated Rh factor and currently under a rheumatologist which is why Iíve posted here, but any suggestions would be welcome as my GP just keeps on prescribing different drugs rather than actually considering any other options. I havenít raised the issue of auto-immune as I donít know enough about it, and I keep getting the feeling he thinks Iím making half of it up anyway.

Thanks for reading
S x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
(female)

Twixt HB UserTwixt HB User
Re: Frustrated and don't know where to turn

Hi sunberry,

I'm not sure what those combinations of symptoms might be pointing to, but often seemingly unrelated symptoms can have connections to each other.

Have you tried seeing a naturopathic doctor? I've been seeing a naturopath for a few issues, and when I first started out, I started to see improvements even in long-term issues that I never thought could be related.

A lot of chronic issues can be relieved or reversed through nutritional changes, etc.

Plus, I like the fact that naturopathic doctors take a much more holistic approach to medicine than MDs - they'll look at the whole person, and look at how various organs and systems are interconnected; the main aim is to deal with the root cause(s) of illness and not just deal with the symptoms (for example, if you're getting chronic headaches, a naturopath will look into what's causing those headaches in the first place and will deal with that, as opposed to just saying "here, take an advil").

Anyway, that's just my two cents.

Of course, I'm currently eating all kinds of stuff I shouldn't (ie: lots of wheat and gluten, etc), but that's because I might have celiac and I need to consume gluten every day for several weeks if I want my bloodwork to be accurate.

But I can't wait to get back to all the positive changes I'd made since I started seeing my naturopath.

All the best in your search to find out what's wrong, and on getting on the path to healing.

Regards,

Twixt

The Following User Says Thank You to Twixt For This Useful Post:
sunberry (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
(female)

sunberry HB User

Thank you Twixt for your kind words and it's definitely something I'm going to look into as I do feel like everything is connected, even if we're not quite sure how.

I did actually start the elimination diet last christmas which helped calm a lot of the issues down, but my willpower wasn't very good and I found some of it a bit confusing so I never finished it

I do have an appointment with a new GP next week as I really didn't like my old one, but trying not to get my hopes up too much. My OH has been so supprtive over the last few months when things have gotten bad and we've decided just to take everything one step at a time and prioritise my neck for the moment and then revisit the fact I'm "dropping to bits" at a later date.

My new positive outlook might also be due to the fact I have been given 10mg diazepam for the muscle spasms in my neck and back so everything is feeling rather rosey at the moment

I hope you get positive (negative?) test results back - but hopefully accurate - to get you on the road to recovery!

Big love
S x

Old 11-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
(female)

mamasnug HB Usermamasnug HB User

Hi Ivy. I've had a lot of the same problems. In addition to yours, I had neurological issues, pain in my muscles, twitching, dizzy feeling, vision that seems to be on point, then off. Sinus pressure that comes and goes. For me, it's mainly left-sided. I've recently been having horrible GI problems. I get sick and bloated as soon as I eat. Oddly, if I eat a small candy bar, I'm Ok. That, of course, is not diet. I've had a lot of tests and I'm about to go back through them all again. The only new one is the upper and lower GI. Due to all the left-sided main across my chest, and perhaps my diaphram for stomach or colon........I am going to ask for an MRI of the left side of my chest. I also get weird racing heartbeats. Not knowing what is wrong, and endlessly running from doc to doc, was making me feel nuts. So, I gave it a six month break. I probably should not have done that because of anxiety of wondering has made matters harder for me.

I keep thinking that if there's nothing growing where it should not be, this has to be some autoimmune disorder. I had a doc leaning toward Fibro, apparently it can impact one side of the body only, but because I did not complete all my tests, we couldn't exclude other conditions.

Keep me updated. I've had some epidural steriod injections, three actually, but my big GI issues really game on after that. If I have some immune problem, this might not have been the correct route. Doc keeps thinking this is my neck (siginficant issues there) but my gut tells me that's not it. I wish it was but I do not think so.

I will let you know if I run across anything. Do the same please.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
(female)

mamasnug HB Usermamasnug HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixt View Post
Hi sunberry,

Have you tried seeing a naturopathic doctor? I've been seeing a naturopath for a few issues, and when I first started out, I started to see improvements even in long-term issues that I never thought could be related.

Twixt
I highly recommend that too. I need to finish my "rule-out" tests and that will be my next stop. If we can't find anything obvious, I have a doc lined up already. There's one in my area that is both a MD and a naturopath so I think that's a great combo.

Closed Thread