It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
(female)

bronzehallow HB User
Decreased saliva?

Ok, I am about at my wits end with all that is going on with me.
For almost 6 or 7 months, my mouth has felt dry.
It isn't completely void of saliva, but it feels dry all the time, and I am excessively thirsty.
I never went to the doctor for it until recently because it wasn't as bad as it is now.
They did a CBC, TSH, ANA, and SSA, but all of them came back normal.
So, I don't have diabetes or Sjogren's or problems with my thyroid or anything like that.
I went to an oral surgeon and he milked my salivary glands and he said that I am definitely not producing a normal amount of saliva, but he has no idea why.
He didn't see any blockages and my glands aren't even the tinniest bit swollen.
I am going to a rhuematologist on December 13th, but I think I am going to be completely insane by then.
Each day it feels like it is getting worse.
Does anyone have any idea what this is?
What can I do to hold out until December?
[I have been eating a lot of lemon drops, but they don't seem to be working anymore.]
[Also, I have laryngopharyngeal reflux, could that be causing this? I was not on any medication when this whole thing started either. I just recently got put back on Prevacid, but it has not been helping at all for this.]

Last edited by bronzehallow; 11-01-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Forgot a bit!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: Decreased saliva?

I have secondary sicca - dry mouth, dry eyes, etc. There are many causes of dry mouth, up to and including age. but as to relieving symptoms: I always carry water with me to drink. I use dry mouth toothpaste and mouthwash - check with your pharmacist on the various brands. I highly recommend trying those as regular pastes and mouthwashes can be very drying, I will warn you though that they have a different consistency than regular stuff, lol. Smoking is very drying. Mint is very drying. There are liquid dry mouth moisturizers available OTC, as well. Plus make sure that your candy drops are sugar free. Oral hygiene is very important in dry mouth since you don't have the protective enzymes in saliva to guard your teeth from cavities. I hope this helps 'til you get to see the Dr in December. Hope you get some answers then!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
(female)

bronzehallow HB User

I am only 19, so I am pretty sure it isn't age.
Water actually makes it worse, believe it or not.
I use Sensodyne Isoactive foaming toothpaste because my acid reflux is damaging my teeth.
I can't really use anything else.
I tried using Biotene, but it made me drool really weird for like a minute and then I was as dry as before I used it.
Don't worry, I brush a lot and floss after I eat.
I don't smoke.
And the candies are sugar free.

Thanks for the response, but I am still at square one, haha.
Oh boy.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
(female)

bimik HB User

Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask you if you have figured out what was causing your dry mouth. I have neither Syorgens nor diabetes. But I have a very fry mouth for 1.5 months now and don't know what's the cause.

Thanks.
Bimik

Closed Thread