It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
(female)

xlilhash11x HB User
Question APS Mother

Background: When I was about five, my mother had her first stroke. She now has Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome, Lupus, and Arthritis.

She's been doing fairly well these last few years. She complains a lot and she's always skipping doses but she's coping. In this last month alone, my brother had his wedding, my mother totaled her car, and she received two tickets. She's been different since she lost her car. She's been irritable (more than usual) and the best I can describe it is it feels like "her nerves are fried." Like everything that involves emotions or sensitivity is just off. She's been screaming at the top of her lungs every day about the most random and minuscule topics. One example is at the wedding she screamed and threw a fit over the bride's dancing. I'm not saying she wouldn't have normally done such a thing, but she would have lasted more than a half hour before making a scene.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if it's normal for APS patients to grow increasing impatient and intolerant? I mean she's cursing everyone out over things like leaving the orange juice on the table for too long. She's always yelled but never to this extent. Should I be concerned or should I just chalk it up as excessive stress?

Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: APS Mother

APS doesn't cause impatience. It does put you at risk for blood clots, stroke, and miscarriages . Of course I'm just a patient. You don't say how old your mother is, but menopause can certainly make one crabby, as can weddings, lol. I had 2 of my children get married within a couple of months of each other. Stress can also make you make you crabby, but also can exacerbate autoimmune conditions such as lupus. And of course, skipping meds as prescribed is not a good thing. If you have concerns, talk to her. It may be her loss of mobility is bothering her, or she feels old as her children leave the nest - I of course don't know your circumstances - or she could be having a flare and not even realize that she IS being extra cranky. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca689 For This Useful Post:
xlilhash11x (11-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
(female)

xlilhash11x HB User
Re: APS Mother

She's turning 49 soon. I guess when you look at it the way you have stated, it could be everything piling up on her at once. I never thought it could be menopause probably because she's always complaining about how often she gets her cycle. Thank you, you're comment was rather helpful.

Closed Thread