It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

elainee HB User
Urgent help needed - Norovirus and Methotrexate

Hi there,
I'm hoping someone can help me. I have rheumatoid arthritis and am on methotrexate injection once a week. I contracted the norovirus last week and fainted twice with it, I was so sick. My symptoms subsided after 24 hours, but I still feel an absolute wreck.
My GP came on four days ago and told me that my immune system is so low it's probably just taking so much out of me to fight the infection, so told me to stay in bed for two days. It's four days later now, the symptoms of the virus came back yesterday and lasted a day again, but I'm still as weak as a kitten and need help leaving the bed to go to the toilet!! I've never felt so low in my whole life. My GP also said, not to inject myself this week to give my immune system a chance to fight this infection.
I'm at my wits end here, any advice on how to build myself back up again? I've two small children that are being looked after by my very kind family at the moment

Old 01-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Urgent help needed - Norovirus and Methotrexate

Elainee, dear

this is the big problem with RA treatments, they all lower our immune system to the point of very dangerous side effects. I wonder why your DR did not put you on antibiotic? My RA and I am friendly with other people who have RA and all of them go on antibiotics with first symptoms of any viruses/ colds/sore throat, etc.
And immediately we must stop any RA treatments.
I was on MTX for a while, but did not help me; so for years now I am on biologics. I am very aware of danger of getting sick.
I was told many times by many doctors to stay away from any crowds, air plains, cruise ships and any crowded places where a chance of getting sick is very high.
And if any signs of any infections - immediately contact my RA and follow her directions. I have her cell# and e-mail; she expects my emails even on a weekends. So as you can see, this is important to take good care of yourself ASAP.

I hope by this time you are doing better, but if not, you must contact him/her and if you really this sick, go to ER. Don't play with the fire sweet heart. Your immune system not strong enough to fight even a little virus.
Thinking of you and praying you will be OK
Moldova

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

elainee HB User

thank you for your message, I have not been given any of those warnings at all. I was always just told to be careful of infections...with no further explanation. My doc took blood tests and it came back that my immunity wasn't weakened by the MTX, so that's all he was concerned about. He said then just to take my time and get well. So I'm coming downstairs for a couple of hours a day, hoping to build back up my strength and get back to normal sometime soon. I don't feel as bad as I did, but my head is still very woozy.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Elaine,
all the best on your recovery! We all know that most doctors dont spend their time to explain such details to us. I am lucky to have a RA who takes her job seriosly.
But most information I found myself while researching, reading materials on RA medications and talking to other people who in same boat.

Happy and healthy New Year to you
Moldova

The Following User Says Thank You to Moldova For This Useful Post:
elainee (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

elainee HB User

Thank you Moldova,
You are indeed lucky with your Dr. I wish I felt I had a Dr watching out for me like you do. Still don't feel great, but am hoping that by getting up and about a little bit it might help. My lowered blood pressure isn't helping my head though....feel very dizzy still. I might still get onto my Dr again if I don't feel much better by Monday. But thank you so much for gettting in touch with me.
Elaine x

Old 01-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Elaine,

like I mentioned earlier, I knocked in many offices, tried to reach out to many doctors, RA included until finally I got lucky to find this RA who cares.
I told my husband that I would rather not to have a Dr than to have one who dont care.
I learned how seriously she takes her job and her patients one day when I got simple cold and did not report to her and just mentioned this to her later. She insisted I must report at any time of the day, weekends included even if I get simple sore throat, not to mention fever, etc. B/c she has to stop treatments immediately and put you on antibiotics.
She said that she knows how fatal this simple infections can be for patients on biologic and any immune suppressant medications. This is why I know she cares a lot.
She doesn't believe in keeping you on any treatments, they all harsh, if she doesn't see any improvement in 3 month. She changes you to something else. When I had my Orencia infusions at the hospital, I met young man on same treatments who told me that he on fusions for 6 month and doesn't see any improvement. When i told him that my Dr changes you to something else in case like this, his answer was: Well, my doc is too busy for me I guess." So why is he with him still?

See, I am not like this. IF I made a decision to put all this "poison" in me, I want to make sure this is working and if not, I agree with my RA, switch me to something else.

I want you to start feeling better sweetie. I know how hard life is for people with chronic pain, chronic conditions which not responding to treatments. Not easy, my heart goes out to you.

Hugs and best wishes to you
Moldova

Closed Thread