It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
(female)

Lucy56 HB User
Please Help!!

I am a newby & this is my first post. I am not even sure if I have put this in the right catagory, but here goes... (this may be long)

I have had health problems on & off all of my life, starting with being told that I had a defect in my spine called "kissing spine" when I was 16. Being young, I wasn't exactly sure what the surgeon meant, but from my understanding, he filed down a part of the vertibre that was rubbing up against another, causing extreme pain. After the surgery, I was not bothered by an spinal issues until I became an adult.

I developed severe neck pain when I was 30, painful joints & underwent 2 bowel obstuction surgeries, caused from what they said was irritable bowel syndrome. I suffered from severe depression & anxiety & was extremely fatigued. I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia & was put on antidepressants & synthroid.

At 50, I had a traumatic fall, injuring my knee & shoulder. I had never experienced so much pain!! I am now 55 & since then, I began falling alot from lightheadedness & difficulty judging distance. I have periods of cognitive & coordination difficulty & have chronic pain in all of my joints. I have tingling in my left arm & sometimes cannot feel my fingers. I now have a rash on my neck that looks like a sunburn & splotches of hicky-looking marks that come & go on my arms & legs.

I have been given several tests for MS, but all were negative. My neurologist sent me to a pain management Dr, who sent me to a rhuematologist because of a ANA test tilter of 1:160. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I guess that I have an autoimmune disease of some sort. I have only seen the Rhuemy once so far, & he took a series of lab tests. I just received a copy of the tests, but have no idea what they mean. I will be seeing him again to follow up in two days.

If you can shed any insight before I go to see him Wednesday, I would deeply appreciate it. Here is a copy of my lab results, but the columns are all messed up. I have no idea what the numbers mean. Please help!!

Test Normal Abnormal Reference Range
ANA/ SEE BELOW NEGATIVE
LUPUS PANEL *
DNA AB <1
HISTONE AB <1.0
ANTI-SM SEE BELOW <1.0 NEG
ANTI-RNP SEE BELOW <1.0 NEG
RHEUMATOID FACTOR* 9 <14
SS-A AB SEE BELOW <1.0 NEG
SS-B AB SEE BELOW <1.0 NEG
CBC W/ DIF
WBC 4.3 4.5-11.0
RBC 4.39 3.80-5.30
HGB 13.1 11.7-16.0
HCT 37.9 35.0-47.0
MCV 86.3 80-101
MCH 29.8 26.0-35.0
MCHC 34.6 31.0-37.0
PLT 202 150-400
NEUTROPHILS % 56 36-75
LYMPHOCYTES % 33 20-50
MONOCYTES % 8 3-10
EOSINOPHILS % 1 0-4
BASOPHILS % 1 0-2
LYMPHOCYTE CT 1.4 1.0-4.8
NEUTROPHIL COUNT 2.4 1.8-7.7
MONOCYTE CT 0.4 0.0-0.8
EOSINOPHIL CT 0.1 0-0.5
BASOPHIL CT 0.0 0.0-0.2
RDW 10.9 9.9-17.1
COLOR P.YEL YELLOW
URINALYSIS-
pH 6.5 5.0-8.0
SP GRAVITY 1.010 1.003-1.035
APPEARANCE CLDY CLEAR
PROTEIN NEG NEG
GLUCOSE NEG NEG
KETONE NEG NEG
BILIRUB NEG NEG
BLOOD NEG NEG
UROBIL NORM NEG
NITRITE NEG NEG
LEUK TRACE NEG
RBC NEG 0-2 / HPF
WBC 2-5 0-2 /HPF
EPITH MOD FEW
BACTERIA FEW NEG
THYROID PEROXIDASE AB 99 <35
ANTI-THYROGLOBULIN AB <20 <20
COMP. METABOLIC PANEL
GLUCOSE 71 65-99
BUN 14 7-18
CREATININE 0.7 0.6-1.0

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Please Help!!

Lucy,

I am so sorry to read you suffering a great deal, but hopefully new year brings you less pain and happier life!

I have big 3: MS, Lupus and RA, not to mention disabled due to Arachnoidites inherited from 2 failed spinal fusions.
As far as I see, your blood work is fine. I am not a doctor though. Usually when you check your blood work, you can see where lab writes either HIGH or LOW or REPEAT ASAP in red letters. When this happens, you know that something is not normal.
Did you have brain MRI and spinal tab done for MS? Usually these 2 are the most accurate tests and if you do have MS, it shows either on brain lesions or spinal tab test.
Lupus shows in your blood work; also Lupus shows in tiny little red "stars" on the bridge of your nose and inside palms of your hands. But not everyone with Lupus has them, but blood test shows it all.
With RA is more complicated since even with perfect blood work, but based on serious symptoms and evaluations, patient still may have RA.
For example, I have enlarged nodules and fluid on my lungs. They checked me for cancer, I had to have CT scan every 6 month. And guess what? This all is due to far gone RA. Ruptured ligaments, teared muscles, "eaten" cartridge, tons of inflammation and damaged joints - I was diagnosed with Fibromyologa, OA, Lyme, but not RA for years!

What I am trying to tell you sweet heart, make sure your Dr is very knowledgeable, very carrying and wants to help YOU, not the number. I went through so many RA and finally my wonderful PM DR, who presumed I do have more than spinal damages, sends me to this RA dr at Hospital for Special surgery in NYC. I was diagnosed with RA, at my first 2 hour app with her. She had tears in her eyes when I told her what I am going through and how I still dont know what is going on.
She was so sure of the diagnoses that she puts me on treatment right same day before any blood work. She didn't have any doubts.

Best of luck to you to have all your questions answered. Search, do your homework and see as many opinions as needed. Dont waist your time if you feel something is wrong.

Moldova

Closed Thread