It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

Stephanie221 HB User
Unemployed- any help for people w/autoimmune disorders?

Hi Everyone,

I was recently laid off and developed an autoimmune disorder at the same time. I never know when I am going to have good days or bad days, making it very difficult to schedule job interviews. In addition, I worry if I get a new job but start getting very sick, I will be forced to resign or will be let go.

Does anyone know if there are any sort of benefits people can claim when faced with this circumstance other than standard unemployment benefits? I looked into Social Security Benefits and it looks like you need to be disabled for 6 consecutive months or more to receive any assistance.

Any help you could provide would be extremely helpful. Thanks everyone and best of luck with your health!

Old 01-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Unemployed- any help for people w/autoimmune disorders?

The problem with Social Security Disability is that not only do you have to disabled for 6 months before you get anything, you have to prove you will not be able to do any kind of work for at lest the next 2 years...minimum. and as you well know, the course of an auto-immune disorder is very up and down with spontaneous remissions. I have both RA and Sjogrens. I know.

I guess you are expected to go the unemployment route and if you use up most of your funds, try to get state SSI(Supplemental Security Income). The best way to know if you'll be accepted for SSDI is to ask your doctor. They have to do the paperwork and if they are not on board with you applying, then forget it. In case you do apply for SSDI, the average time to be approved is 3 years.

My doc wanted me to apply for the Ra and Sjogrens but I just kept working as best I could, usually going to fewer and fewer hours as I got worse. When I saw what others were going through to be approved, it seemed impossible. Then I broke my neck and applied as fast as I could....approval! Not the preferred way to get SSDI!

Talk to your doc. If they are on board and you have the financial resources to not work for the next 2-3 years, then apply. And if you are rejected with the first application, know that 70% are rejected and find a lawyer to help you. It is worth it. You won't get Medicare for 2 more years so make sure you have the medical insurance in place, first.

good luck............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
(female)

missi46 HB User

Actually, my experience with SSD was a little different. It took me a little over a year to be approved. I was rejected a couple of times then got a lawyer and went before a judge. My Doctor only had to send my file. He did not testify or give a recommendation . When I went before the judge a doctor was there who had evaluated my file. The Doc was the first to testify and told the judge I was extremely ill and honestly could not work. So the judge said the hearing was over, I won. I also did not have to wait as long for the medicare. BUT, the first thing you have to do is go to your local SS office and find out if you have enough work credits to qualify. If you haven't worked long enough, you will not qualify and you don't want to waste your time. I am so sorry you are sick and my heart goes out to you.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
(female)

mfred87 HB User

I would advise you to try to apply for SSI, by doing so then you can also get medicare to help with medical expenses. Chances if are if you don't have a job you don't have the money to get insurance and if you did they wouldn't approve you. I had looked into insurance and they just kind of laughed, and told me they basically there was no way I would be able to get insurance. I think that is what I am going to have to do.

Closed Thread