It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
(female)

pinkcell HB User
Auto Immune Question????

I had an ANA test and a RA Factor test done at the same time. When I went and picked up my lab results, they had combined these two test, and it stated INTERIM RESULTS RECEIVED, but the only results on the page were RA FACTOR QNT 6.50 Prelim. Does anyone know why this is, and why the ANA values would be missing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Auto Immune Question????

The ANA can take longer to do, especially if the doc asked for certain methods or a precise breakdown of type of cells. RF is faster to do as it is far less precise.

Let me caution you on the Rheumatoid Factor test. 25 % of those with RA have a negative RF. 5% of the general population have a positive RF with no signs of RA and it goes up as we age to about 20% of the elderly with no RA. Unless it is positive and high, it is of little value in diagnosing RA.

The ANA can also be a problem in that certain meds can make it go positive as can other diseases other than auto=immune disorders. Mine has gone back and forth over the years but never stays steady as positive so it is considered to be negative.

I am also RF negative but have aggressive, severe RA.

There is something called sero-negative RA but that means that no "specific" tests are positive but you do have blood work that shows that the body has something wrong with it. The white blood cell count will be up as of you had a mild infection. The generalized inflammatory factors such as the Sed rate and CRP will be elevated and stay elevated. As the disease attacks the body, you become anemic with hemoglobin and hematocrit in the anemia range.

So if all your blood work is completely normal, then you need to either wait or look to another cause.

Hope this helps with the very strange blood work of auto-immune.

Jenny(OA, RA and secondary Sjogren's Syndrome)

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
pinkcell (02-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
(female)

pinkcell HB User

When this testing was done a few days ago, my sat level was in the high normal at a 16, I think, and they also did testing of the Uric Acid levels, but they were at 4.5. I have been diagnosed with Gout in the past, but the problems that I am having now is severe pain and swelling in the digits of my fingers and in my wrist of both hands. It gets bad enough that I am unable to dress in clothing that has buttons, brush my hair, or anything else without help. This started about two weeks ago, and the fingers act as if they are going to lock up and freeze so I am unable to move them and then the pain starts.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
(female)

Diamond20 HB User

It may have been that your ANA came back negative, as you don't have to have a positive ANA for an autoimmune Disease.

Closed Thread