It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
(female)

Margaret5 HB User
Thyroid Rash - need relief

I have had a rash on my abdomen, forearms, neck and legs for four weeks. Dr. took blood and said that I have an under active thyroid today. I most likely will be put on synthroid. But for now, I am looking for any recommendations for relief for this rash. I have tried coritzone creams, pine tar soap, zinc oxide diaper rash ointment, benadryl and now I am taking Xanax to help me sleep at night. I am a teacher and it is so hard to not want to itch all day. I am desperate for relief from this rash.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
(female)

cottonsocks HB User
Re: Thyroid Rash - need relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret5 View Post
I have had a rash on my abdomen, forearms, neck and legs for four weeks. Dr. took blood and said that I have an under active thyroid today. I most likely will be put on synthroid. But for now, I am looking for any recommendations for relief for this rash. I have tried coritzone creams, pine tar soap, zinc oxide diaper rash ointment, benadryl and now I am taking Xanax to help me sleep at night. I am a teacher and it is so hard to not want to itch all day. I am desperate for relief from this rash.
Do you still have the rash? Have you since had a punch biopsy of the rash? If you still have it I can maybe give you some tips or advice to ease the intense itching.
Sometimes it is just a viral infection, and it will eventually go away, usually in about 6 weeks, but it can in some cases be much longer. It could also be an autoimmune skin condition, (maybe triggered by the symptoms responsible for the underactive thyroid).
Only people who have the inherited faulty gene PREDISPOSING them to ever having an autoimmune reaction, can actually have one.

The gene is inherited, the resulting condition is not, and not all members of a family will ever have an autoimmune response, they are simply more "likely" to. For instance I have EBA, my niece as HS, & nobody else has had an autoimmune response so far, but they could.

Nearly all people who carry this predisposing gene also suffer from ATOPY. This IS inherited and eczema , atopic dermititis, and other atopic conditions will be seen throughout the family.

The skin condition which manifests as a result of that adverse immune reaction, which is directed to self antigens, ( HLA's on all your own cells) is simply the end result of the pathogenesis of the cells within that one, single, adverse, response. (Then called an auto=greek for self immune response.)

Diet ONLY helps IF the person has a hypersensitivity to a certain food or allergy to it. Easily diagnosable of course. Remove the offending food and the symptoms diminish, BUT diet will NOT STOP an autoimmune condition , prevent it, control it or cure it!
We can only CONTROL it with drugs,-immunosuppressants. I have not had remission since 1993 and my condition blinded me totally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
(female)

thefourthmairi HB Userthefourthmairi HB User
Re: Thyroid Rash - need relief

It sounds like cottonsocks is far more familiar with this than I am. I was dealing with some swelling and got asked a lot of questions about the hives I got (haven't had since about week 6 of synthroid, which had responded to Benadryl). Only advice I can offer is there's some bloodwork I had done related to ESR (sedimentation rate) and C1 proteins that was able to confirm I wasn't having any sort of allergic reaction.
I was told (and have found people on the thyroid forum here who have gone this route) that one possible treatment option was Prednisone, which is used for severe allergic reactions, and I've heard of people using this to lower their immune system response and manage autoimmune symptoms.
However, cottonsocks is right that if you're dealing with an infection, lowering your immune system response would only give you more problems.
In my megapractice, I got some input from a very busy allergist/immunologist who was decently versed in Hashimoto's and thyroid related reactions (arguably better versed with some of them than my endo!). But the two week wait was pretty killer...
Please spare yourself one of my big headaches and make sure your docs monitor your antibody levels as well as your TSH and T3/T4 levels.
Good luck!!!

Closed Thread