It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
(female)

dhjallboyz HB User
4yr old ANA+ 1:160 Atypical Speckled Pattern

Hi guys,

I just joined the board today and I was hoping you guys might have some answers for me. My 4yr old daughter has been having kidney/bladder issues off and one for about a year. Over the past 3 months she has had persistent high fevers (104-105) off and one. She will have it for 3 days and then it will break for a week then it will be back for a day and then leave. Really odd. On Feb 29 she was in a ton of pain and puking and I thought she had the flu but I took her to the ER and she ended up with a kidney infection. Blood lvls came back fine, CBC, platelets Sed rate all normal. She does have refulx of her kidney/bladder and was on Kflex but after her kidney infection they switched her to Septra. I followed up with her Peditrician and we realised that she had only gained 1 lb in 1.5 years. Her height was fine, but she is also have issues with her eating, she will literally eat only 5 things. She will like something for awhile and then suddenly hates it and will never touch it again, that is why we are down to the 5. Anyway her Pedi thought there was something else going on besides the reflux and ordered ANA test to be done due to me having Lupus.

Ana came back positive 1:160 with Atypical Speckled pattern. She didn't run the ANA-Dna test or RF test. She has been referred to a Pedi Rheumy and her apt isn't for 4 mths . I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on with her. Any ideas? Maybe JRA? Lupus?

Oh and that last blood test showed her Platelet count high at 658 which is more than double what it had been 1.5weeks prior. My friends and I (who are both nurses) got together to discuss what it could be and we figured out that the Septra was causing it. A rare side effect of Septra is Thrombocytopenia (high platelet count). We switched her to Nitrofruantin (sp?) which can also cause it. I feel so bad for her She still has fevers off and on. When they spike I can get them down to 102 using both tylenol and Ibp (alternating them every 4 hrs) but until it breaks it won't go lower.

Thanks for any insight you guys might have! I'm mostly concerned about the positive ANA and what it could mean for her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: 4yr old ANA+ 1:160 Atypical Speckled Pattern

I wish I could help but I am just not that familiar with pediatric ANA tests and what is high or low. I do know that in adults, a higher than normal titre is very common in relatives of people with autoimmune diseases without having any disease themselves. I hope that your daughter starts feeling better soon. One of my kids had the really high fever thing for a while. He did eventually grow out of it, but I can sympathize with you. Best of luck!

Closed Thread