It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
(female)

dmlew HB User
Autoimmune Hepatitis Type 2...did I win the genetic lottery?

I'm beginning to have some issues that seem to be a result of AIH type 2 but I'm not totally sure. I have requested a referral to an endo but I'm unsure of how to present my problem. So....

When I was 6 I contracted EBV (mono) and developed AIH type 2. I was actively sick for about 3 months and was given prednisone to help me recover. I made it through (obviously) and hadn't even thought about it again until recently. In junior high, I started to gain upper body weight (stomach, breasts, face) and it progressed in high school. I developed stretch marks that were noticeable (though not horrific) that have since faded to white.

At 18, I decided it was an awesome idea to get married (totally not) and started birth control. I gained at least 30 pounds fairly quickly. I switched to a copper IUD and my weight stabilized. In 2008 I had breast reduction surgery and started a rigid diet and exercise plan (with the help of diet pills) and lost 80 pounds that I have kept off. HOWEVER...

I developed a fatty hump at the base of my neck and have excessive stomach fat that won't budge.

My thyroid was tested and it was normal. Currently my biggest complaints are SEVERE insomnia, cheeks that swell off and on, folliculitis, excessive hair shedding (but not balding), terrible PMS, brain "fog", and irritability.

I was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age and take Adderall, though it seems to have little effect.

This may be better suited for another board but I'm lost. I have a mix of Cushing's and Addison's symptoms and am wondering if my AIH is causing adrenal fatigue/failure?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: Autoimmune Hepatitis Type 2...did I win the genetic lottery?

AIH is often but not always accompanied by other AI diseases, such as thyroid disease, so you are fortunate to not have that. I, for instance have Hashimoto's, limited systemic scleroderma, and sicca, (or Sjogren's) all at the same time. I do not believe that you can have Addison's and Cushing's at the same time, but an endocrinologist would def be the Dr I'd want to question about it. It sounds like you have a lot going on. I would start by taking a look at drug side effects of everything that I was taking re: insomnia. Do you snore or make weird noises when you do get to sleep? A sleep study might be in order. Have you seen a gynocologist about your PMS and other symptoms? And finally, your GP can screen you for early signs of other AI diseases with a blood test, although it is not always very accurate or reliable. Good luck.

Closed Thread