HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Autoimmune Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/autoimmune-disorders/)
-   -   Worried and need your help in diagnosis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/autoimmune-disorders/900055-worried-need-your-help-diagnosis.html)

Lady221 05-08-2012 09:25 AM

Worried and need your help in diagnosis

I have been having off and on eyelid inflammation, left knee pain and swollen left toes. I am diabetic. My Dr suggested an ANA test. I took an ANA & SSA/SSB test months ago. ANA came back at 160. SSA/SSB came back negative. I just went to a Rheumatologist and so far only one test came back. My CRP is 2.2. My question is this. I am taking Augmentin for a sinus infection/ear infection and I also got a yeast infection because of the antibiotic. Could those things affect the CRP test results or is this looking more like RA?
I'm starting to get worried. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

luca689 05-08-2012 10:34 AM

Re: Worried and need your help in diagnosis

you don't mention your lab reference range for the tests in which you gave results. That gives meaning to your values. For instance, my crp at last test was 10 with a reference range of 0 to 10. That is a high normal value but still good. And is your ANA results in the form of a titre as in 1:160 or is it just 160? plus did they give you a pattern? As to the augmentin, it would be more the actual infection that might affect your CRP or sed rate than the drug as part of the bodies defense mechanism and may result in a temporary rise in those values. Autoimmune diseases are usually bilateral in that they cause symptoms on both the right and left side. If some sort of arthritis process is suspected, it might well be osteoarthritis, which is far more common than RA, or some other process associated with your diabetes, perhaps.

Lady221 05-08-2012 10:55 AM

Reading from the report the ANA says 160 TU (High) ref range 0-39, speckled.
The CRP says 2.2 mg/dl, ref range 0-0.19.

So far (and it's been 4 years now) it's only been on one side.

thanks

luca689 05-08-2012 11:14 AM

The speckled pattern is seen in many conditions and in people who do not have any autoimmune disease. I was also wondering if you take any medications as they can raise ANA levels as can being a relative of someone with an AI disease. I am not sure but if you have type I diabetes, that may raise your ANA as can thyroiditis. I am just a patient, but I really don't think it sounds like RA, because of the fact that after 4 yrs it is still only on one side. I would write down your questions and narrow them down to maybe the top 3 or 4 for y our next visit. I would also want a game plan of what to do next.

Lady221 05-08-2012 11:20 AM

Type 2 diabetes here, no family with AI problems that I know of. I'm on nothing but insulin. Thank you, I will have a lot of questions next time I meet up with the Dr. Seems this is going to take a lot of testing.

Thanks again.

Lady221 05-11-2012 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=Navajo221;4976147]Reading from the report the ANA says 160 TU (High) ref range 0-39, speckled.
The CRP says 2.2 mg/dl, ref range 0-0.19.

So far (and it's been 4 years now) it's only been on one side.

thanks[/QUOTE]

Just got more tests back. This one is confusing to me.

ANA Reflex to +ANA cascade: YES

ANA: NEGATIVE for
-dsDNA, chromatin, ribosomal P, SSA, SSB,Sm, Sm/RNP, Sci-70, Jo-1 and centromere.

What does the "yes" mean?

RF: negative
CCP: 21 (high)
C-reactive protein: 2.2 (high)
Xray of left knee: osteoarthritis, no RA

The dr said I have some abnormal results and would like to talk with me next week. While taking these tests I had a sinus infection, ear infection, yeast infection and I have diabetes. Any ideas as to what these results could mean?
Thanks

luca689 05-15-2012 06:43 AM

I think the ANA Reflex to +ANA cascade is a further test to help determine what's going on in the presence of symptoms and a positive ANA titre.. I believe that the CCP (cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody test) is ordered in the presence of undifferentiated arthritis in order to help determine a potential future course of disease. I know how you feel, waiting and worrying. I actually had a diagnosis of undifferentiated connective tissue disease for a while. Write down your questions and ask your Dr. the top 3 or 4 and remember NOT to believe everything you read on the internet. You'll just end up making yourself crazy, LOL. Keep us posted and good luck.

Lady221 05-15-2012 07:03 AM

Thank you so much. I worry about the RA drugs that my Dr talked about. I will not take them. My numbers don't confirm things 100%. After all, my diabetes alone could very well be the inflammation they see or the osteoarthritis in my knee that I have right now (confirmed)
Thanks again

luca689 05-15-2012 08:20 AM

Don't be so quick to dismiss medication, if your Dr suggests it. It can save you a lot of deterioration in the future. Yes, drugs have side effects, and all that, but we go to Dr.s to seek treatment. Yes, there are additional non-drug treatments available as well, and should be used in conjunction with allopathic medicines. I have heard all the stories about remissions without drugs, cures through faith, recovery via this diet or that food, especially in diseases for which there is no cure, such as autoimmune diseases. Remissions come and go but joint or tissue damage is forever, as they say. Think very carefully and in consultation with your Dr. about your treatment options and be open. Also be aware that treatments change during the course of autoimmune diseases, depending on the severity of symptoms. I hope that you do not have or develop an AI, but keep us posted and best of luck.