It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
(female)

elizleigh HB User
Smile Lupus? Or what else? Confused...

Hello All,

I'm hoping I can begin to understand or get some answers. First off, I just learned that my health insurance will run out at the end of this month (laid off) - terrible timing as I also just learned that I may have some health issues and I'm running out of time before I'm no longer covered by ins!

I have some lab results that have caused my doc to send me to a rhumy. I can't get in to see him so I'm seeing their CNFP next Thursday...hopefully that will be sufficient. I'll post my labs and also the main symptoms. Any insight would be so very much appreciated!!

Symptoms: Major hair loss on the back of my head... now starting to thin all over. (Bald patches, almost no hair left back there. Other than that, I don't really think I have too many other symptoms. I do have epilepsy and only very rarely have seizures. Also, chronic neck & shoulder pain possibly from a bulged disc in my neck. Fatigue (but I have a 2 year old so who knows if it's related to anything). and depression that comes & goes.

Labs:

ANA - Positive (1:16 ratio - low right?)
Lupus panel - Negative
C3 Complement - 110 (90-180 mb/dL)
C4 Complement - 21 (16-47 mb/dL)
CH50 Complement total - Positive - >60 (31-60 U/mL)
TSH - 2.67 (.4-4.5)

Does anyone know what a positive ANA and elevated CH50 could mean? I'd like to be educated as possible when I go to see the CFNP so I get the most out of this appointment - ask the right questions and ask for the best labs etc.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Last edited by elizleigh; 05-18-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Lupus? Or what else? Confused...

Hello and welcome!
I am not a Dr but know something due to my own battle with health issues and a lot of research done on my own and also due to being a part of couple researches done on me.
First of all, I want to say that many perfectly healthy people have positive ANA, and older we get more false positive ANA are out there.
Second of all, lowering BP drugs and anti-seizure drugs trigger anti body formation, which means your ANA could manifest as positive.
Did your DR knowing that you on anti-seizure medication tell you about it too? I hope he/she did.
Having positive ANA means your immune system has launched misdirected attack on your own tissue. But again, with absolutely healthy people, no disease people may have positive ANA.
I think this is what you have to discuss about with your DR.

Having just the test you shown here, it only one piece of the pazzle. If your Dr presumes you may have any auto-immune disease, he suppose to do further investigation. It suppose to be very extensive blood work which can show the real picture of what is going on in your body.

BTW, do you know that simple Mono causing positive ANA? Any inflammation, as strep can cause same test results? So all this must be checked and discussed.

I have RA and Lupus as well, so I can tell you that a lot more symptoms involved in both of these conditions than positive ANA. Lupus is very easy diagnosed disease, plus it very visual versus RA, which is not an easy one to diagnose, but it manifests with many serious symptoms.

All the best to you; I hope this helps a little
Moldova

Closed Thread