It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Autoimmune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
(female)

tam090 HB Usertam090 HB User
Confused about ANA results

First test that was ran in February showed ANA Positve 1:320H Homogeneous. Next test ran May was ANA Positive 1:1280 Diffused Speckled.
They were done at different labs. I would assume the 1:1280 is higher, but changed to speckled confuses me. Any input would be helpful. Most of the other test were negative. I did have a THS test of 3.68 which they said was normal. Which I am thinking it may be the cause of some of my problems.

Thanks..

Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: Confused about ANA results

A diffuse pattern is a non-specific one whereas the speckled pattern is more specific. At a titre of 1:1280, I would guess that you might be referred to a rheumatologist, in the presence of other symptoms. Did you have a SED rate done, or a CRP test? Or any of the other sub types of the ANA test? and just to compound the issue, a tsh of 3.68 may or may not be reported as subclinical hypothyroidism, depending on the lab. Some Dr's will treat, some will wait and see. And to top it all off, many of the symptoms of hypothyroidism are very similar to an autoimmune disease. I know this because I have both! I think a consult with a good rheumatologist might be in order to help sort all this out in light of the fact that you do have symptoms. You might have more than one thing going on, or not. That's what makes all this so difficult.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
(female)

I am waiting to see the rheum.
C4 38 within range
C3 168 within range
DSDNA AB neg
ENA RNP SCL-70 AB SM RO LA all <0.2 within range
G6PD not defienct
HB Ag neg
HBc neg
CRP .46 within range
TSH 368
C-Reactive .46 in range
Rheumatoid factor 7 in range
Lyme test, said they wanted me to retest... but that is all I remeber regarding it.

The fax messed up on the last pages, so I don't have those results
in my hands yet.
But, they said nothing stood out to them.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User

Nothing does stand out except that high titre. However, symptoms are also part of any diagnostic puzzle. I am also wondering if your lab uses diffuse to mean homogenous? They are actually 2 different patterns. I would write down all my symptoms and take that list with me to my appt. There is also such a thing as a false positive ANA test and some people just naturally have a high ANA without ever having evidence of disease. Wishing you the best and keep us posted with how you are doing.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
(female)

Symptoms familiar? Positive ANA stabbing calf pain?
4. Joint pain & weakness especially in the morning
5. Hand and foot tingling and numbness
6. Hands are stiff and ache and I have no hand strength.
7. Extremely fatigued
8. I have tender spots all through out my body. Like I am bruised.
9. Insomnia
10. After gallbladder surgery, I have what they call bile dumping.
11. Very dry skin and scalp problems.
12. Very prone to yeast infections.
13. Overall just feel spacy-out of it daily.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Did you check out the stickies over on the Lupus board? They have some excellent infon on symptoms. But, no, I got itching, swollen hands and stuff like that at first. And crushing fatigue.

Closed Thread