HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Autoimmune Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/autoimmune-disorders/)
-   -   cognitive impairment with amnestic component (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/autoimmune-disorders/905060-cognitive-impairment-amnestic-component.html)

chirp2 06-14-2012 09:15 PM

cognitive impairment with amnestic component

I'm 49, having troubles with balance, numbness comes and goes in face, fingers, legs and feet and memory issues. Symptoms at first did not include memory loss. In the last three months I've been having troubles with speaking the right word, and forgetting words along with leaving my car running with keys in it while shopping, hanging my jewelry on my key ring instead of jewelry box, storing my "girlie" pads in bathroom sink instead of under the sink.

One neurologist said seizures, other said not seizures. MRI showed nothing, same with EEG. My balance is off. Neurotrax said memory function below normal, at 59. Neurotrax suggested multiple domain cognitive impairment with amnestic compenent. Not sure what that means, and trying to figure out is this a true medical problem, or is it all due to stress?

I have neck issues (stenosis, flattening chord, bulging disks) and lower back issues, stenosis, bulging disks and cyst in spinal canal.

Tired of memory issues. Neurologist said he has to do the easy tests first to rule out if its psychological, due to stress or depression. I don't feel stressed or depressed.

Has anyone had an autoimmune distorder without it showing up on an MRI? ?

fatdaddy 06-20-2012 06:09 AM

Re: cognitive impairment with amnestic component

Not sure about the MRI. I had my first 10 years ago and my 2nd is schedule on Friday. My understanding is that some stuff (like MS) will show up, but other stuff (like Lupus) will not.

However, your symptoms are very familiar. I've had some very severe cognitive/memory issues for the past few years and I managed to cope for 28+ years before that.

I also just had a sleep study done. I occasionally have some nights where I seem to sleep fine, but then it's like I didn't sleep at all. Fortunately, the sleep study finally caught it, so I'm looking forward to what the sleep doc has to say. I suspect it's part of the problem, but not all of it. (I'll take anything).

ladybud 06-20-2012 10:50 AM

Lupus can cause significant cognitive impairment. Can be tested with a blood test, but requires other specific symptoms as well for a diagnosis. Also rule out Vit. B 12/folate deficiency (blood test), low thyroid (blood test) and pursue the MS rule out if these all are normal. Even sleep apnea can cause memory/cognitive problems. MS diagnosis can require additional testing like MS blood test panel, spinal fluid analysis, OPG(oculoplethysmography-a test of eye movement/coordination). I disagree with your neurologists approach. I think physical/medical causes for your symptoms should be ruled out first, before a psychological cause is considered. Let's give everyone the benefit of the doubt and look for a cause that can be treated, before symptoms like this are chalked up to "stress/depression,etc."

fatdaddy 06-21-2012 08:29 AM

I completely agree. I ended up on Seroquel (anti-psychotic) for 5 years for what was actually a wheat/gluten allergy.

A neurologist is good to rule out MS, seizures, or a brain tumor.

A rhuematologist works with Lupus.

I'm also working with a sleep doctor. If you have a sleep partner ask them if you snore, gasp, or snort while sleeping. If so, I'd have this checked out ASAP. It will rob years of your life otherwise and it's treatable.

I'm currently working with all 3 trying to get a diagnosis.

Also, about 60% of auto-immune issues respond to diet changes such as a plant-based diet. IMHO, eastern medicine rocks for systemic issues like these. You won't find many doctors recommending diet changes and herbs. :-)

Don't give up if you know something is wrong. It's definitely a squeaky wheel situation.

*erica* 06-22-2012 02:07 AM

Chirp2,
I have systemic lupus and it developed into CNS lupus, I have problems everyday with neuropathy, numbness and tingling, and the memory loss is borderline scary. I had countless MRI's and EEG's and everything always came back normal. It took a long time for the doctors to recognize that it was moving into my central nervous system because all my tests kept coming back fine. No matter what trust how you're feeling and don't let them write it off as depression if you're not depressed. The tests aren't always right and you know your body better than anybody else. If it is something more serious than depression related memory loss, you'll want to nip it in the bud as soon as you can. I'm so sorry you're going through this and hope you start feeling better and getting answers soon. All the best.
-Erica